Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bridge building question.  (Read 1117 times)

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
Bridge building question.
« on: May 13, 2009, 01:00:55 pm »

I generated a world with a number of continents seperated by thin oceans, on there I found a nice place to embarl, but there is one problem: no civ can reach me, the whole continent is unpopulated.

So, I was thinking of building a bridge at the thinnest point of the ocean. Im quite sure the construction itself would work, but before starting it, could I ask whether it would actualy work and allow me to trade with civs from the main continent?
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Smew

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill you with my bear face.
    • View Profile
    • Deep Games for Deep Gamers
Re: Bridge building question.
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2009, 01:03:47 pm »

Wouldn't work at all, sadly.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2009, 02:14:20 pm »

aww bummer, it was a realy nice spot but I needed trade caravans for wood as there were no trees.

I hope this is included in the next version, it would give me an actual reason to make mega projects such as bridges.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Taritus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2009, 03:21:36 pm »

Since traders and populations are supposed to move around the map in the next version, it may be something you can do in the next version.

tzler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2009, 06:23:08 pm »

If you need trees you could probably do that thing where you flood a large underground cave, and, apparently, tower caps will start growing.

This is all from hearsay, but seeing as it is apparently pointless in staying there, it's worth a shot.

Vactor

• Bay Watcher
  • ^^ DF 1.0 ^^
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2009, 06:35:48 pm »

If you need trees you could probably do that thing where you flood a large underground cave, and, apparently, tower caps will start growing.

This is all from hearsay, but seeing as it is apparently pointless in staying there, it's worth a shot.

not quite, you need to have found an underground water feature (cave river or pond) at which point towercaps will begin to grow in muddied underground tiles
Wreck of Theseus: My 2D Roguelite Mech Platformer
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=141525.0

My AT-ST spore creature http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0btwvL9CNlA

tzler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2009, 06:48:46 pm »

Woo! New knowledge!