Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Solifuge's Extended Fantasy Music Pack  (Read 3447 times)

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Solifuge's Extended Fantasy Music Pack
« on: March 12, 2009, 08:51:31 pm »

Since I've found myself muting the background audio of DF more often than not, I decided to slap together this collection of tracks to play in the background:
http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=890

There are 6 tracks, roughly 30 minutes in all, written by Fantasy/Electronic composer Yakoff "Ivory" Oskanoff, of ImpulseTracker fame. The tunes are written to musically describe a fantasy setting, and are tracked using an old-school audio format that lends it a certain synthy quality, both making them fit Dwarf Fortress rather well.

Instructions for installation are found at the DFFD link above.
--

Track Previews:
http://mp3upload.ca/files/6053/road_to_naelod_sample
http://mp3upload.ca/files/6054/ivory_tower_sample
« Last Edit: March 12, 2009, 08:53:23 pm by Solifuge »

Broadsword

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Solifuge's Extended Fantasy Music Pack
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2009, 09:11:27 pm »

You should get the Morrowind theme song for the title screen. Maybe the shire song from lord of the rings.
EDIT: It just occurred to me how rude my post was, sorry. I will be sure to give this mod a try, always loved the music in DF but its a loop and... it loops... and loops
« Last Edit: March 12, 2009, 09:21:28 pm by Broadsword »

Bromor Neckbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2009, 09:27:46 pm »

Quote from: Broadsword
You should get the Morrowind theme song for the title screen. Maybe the shire song from lord of the rings.

Hmm...  Great minds think alike... and so do ours.  The Morrowind title theme and the entire LotR soundtrack are already on my DF playlist.  I just leave WinAmp running in the background and take the DF music out of the Sounds folder most of the time, but I'll give this mod a shot.

Solifuge, I liked the sound of the samples, so I'm downloading the whole thing.  I'll post my thoughts in this topic in the next couple of days once I've listened to them a few times.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2009, 11:38:51 pm »

Finally! someone completes a music project!

thank you!

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2009, 12:09:27 am »

I could totally see music from the LOTR movie... heck, even from the "Fellowship of the Ring" SNES game. At first I was using music from Fable 1, but I think I prefer using this original music for a change.

Oh, and you're welcome Barbarossa! Honestly, putting together this music collection wasn't a ton of work. Most of it was outputting a sound file from the old file format Ivory composes in... music modules are like MIDI, but instead of using a built-in synthesizer, they use any sound clips as instruments. It's actually really flexible stuff, and it's a pity that it dropped out of mainstream after the 80's.

Anyway, what do you guys think so far? I was pondering adding in brief bits of ambient nature sounds in between songs instead of silence, but it might feel weird hearing birdsong in a tundra fortress. Pity the game doesnt play separate BGMs for different events or biomes.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2009, 12:13:40 am by Solifuge »

Bromor Neckbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Not bad at all...
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2009, 08:42:06 pm »

Having listened to this music pack perhaps a dozen times now, I quite like it.  I'm not always in the mood for the synth sound of this pack, but it's a nice mellow alternative to the rather heavy stuff I usually listen to while playing DF.

The only real complaint I have with it (and this is just a matter of taste) is that although it approximates the original tone of Toady's DF soundtrack, Toady's music is so... random, I guess you could say, I mean, can you really say that Toady's DF soundtrack has a melody?  Can you sing the DF soundtrack?  I sure can't.  But this music pack does, and that keeps me from being able to listen to it over and over and over for hours at a time.

Other than that minor quibble, good stuff, and I hope more people put out mods like this.  I'd like to eventually be able to play DF all day and not hear the same song repeat once, with a giant mixture of all the fanmade DF music.

Firgof Umbra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2009, 04:33:00 pm »

I'm working on a music pack myself.  I'll keep progress here in this thread just to spare people from having to look elsewhere and track to separate promising alternatives.

Here's my current list:

Confirmed Soundtrack so Far
---------------------------

1: Arab Strat Summer 1 - Medieval: Total War (fades out, 5 seconds of silence, crossfade into...)
2:
2: Journey (Cello) - Myth 3 (fade out, cut to...)
3: Euro Strat Winter 2 - Medieval: Total War (fade out, 12 seconds of silence or gen. ambience)
4: Richard Searles - Robin Hood and the Tanner (slow fade in, 15 seconds of silence as it fades out, then 5 second crossfade to...)

Considering
---------------------------
?: Riddles & Locks - Betrayal at Krondor
?: The Betrayal - Betrayal at Krondor
?: Candlekeep - Baldur's Gate (fade out, 20 second pause)
?: Merlin's Hat - Caroline Dale (crossfade)
?: Jeremy Soule - Easthaven in Pieces
?: Caverns - Fallout
?: Shady Sands - Fallout
?: The Euro Tension tracks from Medieval: Total War
?: Waterfall Cave - Knytt
?: March (Erhu) - Myth 3 (fade out, crossfade into...)
?: March (Cello) - Myth 3 (crossfade into...)
?: March (Fiddle) - Myth 3 (fade out, 12 seconds of silence)
?: Dirge - Myth 3 (Fades into next track) (May be too heavy)

I'll have a 'preview' of what that all sounds like sometime in the next hour or so for your enjoyment.
Scratch that, I need to do a little more research and work to make it more 'thematic'.  The songs are great on their own but after compiling them together it's a little too random.  I feel DF is best represented gameplay wise by a somber/drum/military/industry feel.  I'll make another post here when I've finished researching where I can take this.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2009, 05:48:55 pm by Firgof Umbra »