Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Epic scale time eating beasts  (Read 2464 times)

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
Re: Epic scale time eating beasts
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2009, 01:03:16 pm »

Populous 1 was better than Populous 2.

The SNES version was also way more fun due to more crazy worlds, although the controls were kind of lacking.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2009, 01:14:00 pm »

The SNES version was also way more fun due to more crazy worlds, although the controls were kind of lacking.

Agreed, but the controls aren't so bad when you get used to them.

Another good SNES game is Metal Max Returns, that one is awesome.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2009, 01:16:52 pm »

GalCiv 2 is neat at first but it quickly gets boring with the constant unfunny jokes and what not.  Try the Space Empires series if you want a truely epic 4X game.  Are you only looking for PC games BTW?  Because I have a bunch of PS2 games I could suggest.
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2009, 01:22:22 pm »

i would tell you about some interesting moments in a game i played, but i think this is not the place for that

Here's one of mine.  For once I was actually good well.  Massive map, 8 factions, we'd made it well into the Genetic Age.  I was slowly building the Space Elevator, and nearly ready to take on all my opponents in open war.  All non-essential production was devoted to Public Works (the game's system of improving tiles, no units involved), to turn all the land my cities weren't using into glaciers.  Apparently, tiles near those you previously altered counted as close enough to your territory to further alter, so my Ice-9 defensive curtain was spreading over the globe, forcing my foes to starvation and march to me through a frozen hellscape.

Then the power went out, my last save (I wasn't big into autosaving then) hundreds of turns old.  I leaned back and gave the ceiling the finger, knowing I was being told not to get too big for my britches.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2009, 01:50:02 pm »

O_O I need that game.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2009, 01:50:28 pm »

The best thing in Civ4 is extensive modding. I spent hours and days in it.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2009, 01:58:54 pm »

Aqizzar, you just made all the crazed dictator lights in my head turn on. I'm gonna go look for that game.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Errol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heaven or Hell, Duel 1 -- Let's Rock!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2009, 02:07:23 pm »

Or playing mods. You are sure to waste another 40+ hours playing Fall from Heaven. And perhaps some more hours with the modmods. And so on. Really, CIV4 is a big huge timesink.

Also, the obvious: Dwarf Fortress.
Girls are currently preparing signature, please wait warmly until it is ready.

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2009, 02:43:33 pm »

Are you open to 4X games?  In that case, Civilization 4 and especially Galactic Civilizations 2 can certainly be epic on the biggest, slowest map settings.

Civilization: Call to Power (knockoff of Sid Meier's games) was even better if you can find it, because it actually went into the future instead of abruptly stopping at 1995.
So after taking a brief nautical adventure I've been playing Civilization: Call to Power, I have yet to get very far into a game but the mere fact that poppies are available as a resources has sold it to me already.
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2009, 02:44:51 pm »

Or playing mods. You are sure to waste another 40+ hours playing Fall from Heaven. And perhaps some more hours with the modmods. And so on. Really, CIV4 is a big huge timesink.

Also, the obvious: Dwarf Fortress.
Yeah, Fall from Heaven is a game in a game. I was tired of Civ4 long time ago but I still play FFH multiplayer a lot.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2009, 03:13:34 pm »

I just remembered. Dominions 3. Hefty price tag, but it's a pretty unique fantasy game. Basically, you take control of a pretender god, with the ultimate goal of becoming a true god.

Choose among about a dozen unique nations (like a nation of lizardmen or a nation of necromancers), choose your pretender god's physical form (like manticore, blood fountain, monolith, lich, etc.) and conquer the nations of other pretender gods using multi-racial armies and rituals (ranging from raising the dead to changing the world's climate).

wallish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2009, 03:31:31 pm »

I have tried so hard to like Dominions 3, and yet I can never get into it.  Maybe I need to follow a really good guide or something, but even after reading through a nice Let's Play I wasn't able to truly enjoy it.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2009, 03:37:29 pm »

I have tried so hard to like Dominions 3, and yet I can never get into it.  Maybe I need to follow a really good guide or something, but even after reading through a nice Let's Play I wasn't able to truly enjoy it.
Well, I have found the AI to be truly annoying in the game (constantly avoiding my main armies and going for the less defended provinces) and thus far, the only nation I managed to accomplish anything with was the necro nation. I just kept a horde of necros at the capital and had them keep pumping out hundreds of the undead per turn. Try avoiding my army now, AI! Though later on, the game just became too easy this way.

Roundabout Lout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2009, 05:44:32 pm »

Mount & Blade technically never ends, but you're more likely to get bored and quit than take over the whole world map.

Haxima, the first game under the Nazghul engine is an RPG that resembles the Ultima series. Seems fairly open ended, and has entertained me for 5 hours already, even though I've only followed through one plot point. Also, dungeons with actual puzzles.
Pages: 1 [2]