Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chinese Dwarf Fortress (Hanyu Idza'de Cheng-Bao)  (Read 3345 times)

Wild Goose

• Bay Watcher
  • My Avatar Has Something Green. Yay solidarity!
    • View Profile
Chinese Dwarf Fortress (Hanyu Idza'de Cheng-Bao)
« on: May 10, 2009, 10:14:15 pm »

I've been thinking about making a Chinese mod for Dwarf Fortress.  Has this been done yet?
For me, this is partly so I can practice my Chinese skills; I'm a Chinese Conversationalist, but barely a Novice Chinese Record Keeper.

I'm a complete newb at modding, unfortunately; I think the most modding I ever did was to make sandy loam a sand.

I was thinking, the main thing would be to replace most of the Creature and Item symbols with equivalent Chinese Characters.
Is changing the commands and displayed information possible?

How should I start this?  Reading the modding guide on the wiki, I'm guessing I should try to make a graphics set of Chinese characters to replace the ASCII characters.

Does this sound like a feasible process?
Any hints, tips, and constructive (or humourous) feedback would be appreciated.
"Adventurer's Motto; Take everything not nailed down and nail down whoever tries to stop you."

"Whatever happens, we have got the ballista and they have not."

The dwarven economy is just a stand-in, from what I understand. As it is, it represents an actual economic system about as well as poison ivy represents a salad.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
Re: Chinese Dwarf Fortress (Hanyu Idza'de Cheng-Bao)
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2009, 10:15:29 pm »

*ducks and covers*
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Wild Goose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2009, 10:16:34 pm »

That seems forboding.  I've commited some horribly obvious gaffe, or made some embarrassing mistake, huh?
"Adventurer's Motto; Take everything not nailed down and nail down whoever tries to stop you."

The dwarven economy is just a stand-in, from what I understand. As it is, it represents an actual economic system about as well as poison ivy represents a salad.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2009, 10:17:40 pm »

It certainly sounds feasible and I think it has been done before. Don't think this means you can't continue. I can't really help but it'll probably work.

EDIT: Oh wait, I misread it. It won't work. Sorry
« Last Edit: May 10, 2009, 10:19:18 pm by Jackrabbit »

Wild Goose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2009, 10:35:27 pm »

Okay, what did I miss?

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2009, 10:37:34 pm »

There is only a specific amount of characters available for use as items and creatures. The commands and display info is hard coded.

blah28722

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2009, 12:47:26 am »

I was thinking, the main thing would be to replace most of the Creature and Item symbols with equivalent Chinese Characters.

If you only want to replace the creatures itself, it'd probably be possible. You'll run into some problems on things like distinguishing weapon/armor types, corpses, and probably some other stuff I can't name right now.

I don't see a problem with what you're trying to do. You'd be able to replace what has already been changed by graphical tilesets.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2009, 12:53:48 am »

If you drew the tilesets yourself you could, but I don't think you could change symbols to Chinese characters

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2009, 08:49:05 am »

Well, that is what he said.

How should I start this?  Reading the modding guide on the wiki, I'm guessing I should try to make a graphics set of Chinese characters to replace the ASCII characters.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Wild Goose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2009, 09:22:15 am »

Okay...hmm, I could probably edit the raws and replace the names of items with their pinyin equivalents.  The quality tags and descriptions are probably also hardcoded, huh?
I could probably also go through the language file and replace Dwarven with pinyin.

What else can be changed?  Or is that about it?

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2009, 10:05:11 am »

I think I read somewhere of somebody going through the exe and changing most things to german, but I may be mistaken.

Also not sure how Toady feels about such things since a while ago there used to be a list of files that were ok to mod in the readme. The exe was not one of them.  That particular section seems to have been removed from the more recent versions though, so I don't know what the official stance on it is anymore.

Good luck though.  All I know about chinese is that You don't engage Lu Bu.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2009, 10:09:15 am by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

RadonPlasma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2009, 06:27:30 pm »

Sadly, I think Greiger is right.  Neat as it would be, the main executable file is off the table for modding.  I don't know any Chinese either, but I think it's a fantastic idea anyway.  Linguistic diversity FTW.

You don't engage Lu Bu.
Damn right you don't.  You take the bypath, and head straight for Dong Zhuo!