Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: How hard is it to BS a term paper?  (Read 3649 times)

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
Re: How hard is it to BS a term paper?
« Reply #30 on: May 07, 2009, 08:20:34 pm »

Not to mention textbook companies that change one page in a book every semester so they can render used books forbidden and keep charging people $150.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Taniec

• Bay Watcher
  • Here to save the day
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2009, 09:50:53 pm »

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2009, 09:57:08 pm »

heh writing English papers.

That's one thing I never really figured out how to do properly.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2009, 08:33:26 pm »

heh writing English papers.

That's one thing I never really figured out how to do properly.

Just remember that teachers are really bored by common topics.  I had a gemology prof tell us that anyone who wrote a paper on blood diamonds would insta-fail, because 2/3 of the class did that the last quarter.  If you can coax a weird topic out of familiar territory, and still write it in a way that fulfills the basic requirements, your teachers will usually love it.

I mean, it's kind of hard to identify a good topic sometimes, but I've had great luck with random stuff like "this character's dog is actually the symbolic center of the story" and "Hey look, you can kind of compare Heart of Darkness and Apocalypse Now to Fight Club if you squint really hard".  It was mostly nonsense, but it was well-supported nonsense, and got my teachers to suspend disbelief for just long enough to be entertained.

Remember, people wouldn't become English teachers if they didn't like to read stuff that challenged them to think a little!  Even if they think about it and decide "Nah, that's still totally wrong", at least they thought and/or were amused.  Just don't write in a way that insults your teacher's intelligence.  c_c

This stuff won't get you an A+, but making your teacher crack a smile when they're on their 20th out of 30 papers to grade that weekend is a guaranteed B.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 13, 2009, 09:32:01 pm »

I figured that much out.  It's more or less how I managed to survive being in the honors program (!).  That, and actually talking with my professors.

In the end, I basically just said "Screw it" and majored in math.

Awayfarer

• Bay Watcher
  • Bork!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 13, 2009, 10:00:32 pm »

Sowelu's advice on being original is a good idea. I have an English prof. who has explicitly stated that he gives credit for answers that are wrong but still interesting.
--There: Indicates location or state of being.
"The ale barrel is over there. There is a dwarf in it."
--Their: Indicates possession.
"Their beer has a dwarf in it. It must taste terrible.
--They're: A contraction of the words "they are".
"They're going to pull the dwarf out of the barrel."

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 14, 2009, 07:49:17 am »

Lol, I found my old DF proposal for my Strategic Leadership and (Engineering) Ethics assignment.
http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dfmhbfsm_12f7kmrpcf

It's only semi-formal, because I already discussed most of it with the professor and he wanted that just as written proof of the marking scheme we agreed to. Also, google docs messed up the format a bit.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.
Pages: 1 2 [3]