Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: My first megabeast encounter  (Read 1074 times)

ronin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
My first megabeast encounter
« on: May 09, 2009, 10:30:38 am »

So my fortress is entering year 6 and I've been reasonably successful with plenty of steel, gems, and artifacts.  I've got more iron ore than they could exhaust in a 100 years.  My defenses are deep and I've walled the entire perimeter of the map.  A goblin siege was summarily minced in the Gorge of Death, and life is good.

Then the dragon shows up.  Keshan Dorenziril Limarstettad Keshan

Needless to say I'm a little excited at a challenge, and I prepare to mobilize the military and tell the Dungeon Master to get ready for a new pet because I've got cage trapes.  Since he appeared at the opposite corner of the map from my entrance I knew I had some time, so I looked at him before I did anything. 

I watched him and he just sat there on the edge of the map.  And sat there.  Then his icon started flashing an X.  WTH?

A quick check of his wounds reveal that my dragon is one-eyed, noseless, a bum right front leg, and has some sort of damage that causes him to faint on a regular basis.

This was a bit of a letdown, but now I'm left with the question of what to do with him.

He's on the first line of map squares so I don't think I can build a trap under him while he's unconscious, so the only two options I can come up with are a) leave him there and see if he heals up enough to move (he's not any danger to my guys where he is), or b) send a troop up there to nuke him.

Any other options you can think of?  Any votes on what I should do?

Thanks!

Airpi

• Bay Watcher
  • PREFSTRING:whimsy
    • View Profile
    • I say things. Often.
Re: My first megabeast encounter
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2009, 10:36:57 am »

Build some cage traps between it and your fort while its unconscious. Maybe chain a cat next to them if you want to make sure. Once you get him, chain him up in the main hall of your fort so all the dwarves can taunt it, throw garbage at it, call it Mr. Stumpy, etc.

Or, capture it and make a lair for it somewhere, stocked with all the treasures you can muster.
⊂(゚ヮ゚⊂⌒つ    ⊂(゚ヮ゚⊂⌒つ

Popolop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2009, 10:47:08 am »

You can always use Dwarf Companion to heal him.
Quote from: Assassinfox
Me: Tell me about your family.
Elf: I had a grandmother named Elfy McElf.
Elf: She was killed by You in Stupidforest.
Me: Gee, this is awkward.

Village_Idiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2009, 11:21:40 am »

built cage traps around him, and then use him as a defense after letitng him heal his wounds. (if his wounds can be healt, dark grey, brain, and spinal injuries won't heal) Ifhe keeps fainting put him in a zoo or a nobles quarter.

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2009, 11:29:53 am »

Build some cage traps inside the wall closest to him and then remove a section of said wall

Limul Thak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2009, 03:01:26 pm »

If he's constantly passing out, then in my experience he won't heal. I would either: a) leave him, as he's no threat, or b) kill him, just to make sure. OR, try caging him and selling him to a bunch of dumb humans.
This game is so strange.
The horses have TEEN ANGST.

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2009, 03:05:35 pm »

Trap him, then put him deep, deep down in a sealed room, with all the coins you can make.

ronin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2009, 06:28:53 pm »

Ok, well based on the comments here I came up with an idea on how to trap him and it worked.  I now have a dragon cage.    8)

He's definitely had a rough life so I think I'll just keep him as a pet.  How does one tame a dragon?  I know the dungeon master can do it, but I don't what commands to use.

Thanks!

blackfire83

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2009, 06:35:07 pm »

Select "Tame A Large Animal" and it should provide a list of all the tame-able large animals you have. Then select the dragon, and hopefully you'll get your tame dragon. :)

Not that this probably effects you, but if a creature has eaten dwarf meat before, even after it is tame, it will continue to attempt to eat dwarves. The taste never goes away. :D

-blackfire83

geoduck

• Bay Watcher
  • mollusk
    • View Profile
    • Geoduck's Page
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2009, 08:43:13 pm »

The taste never goes away. :D

Well, the meat is simply marinated in alcohol..
Geoduck's graphic set: simple and compact!

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2009, 12:57:41 pm »

The taste never goes away. :D

Well, the meat is simply marinated in alcohol..

Well, the alcohol is simply improved with some meat.

Mordae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Mordae
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2009, 04:01:28 pm »

Well its name is Flame Diamondfire Wealthtax Flame.
Hope that gives some inspiration.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2009, 04:37:36 pm »

OR, try caging him and selling him to a bunch of dumb humans.
This is an ex-dragon!