Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: bridge over downward ramp makes square impassible  (Read 1564 times)

AlmostEverywhere

• Bay Watcher
  • Store item in stockpile
    • View Profile
bridge over downward ramp makes square impassible
« on: May 29, 2008, 10:11:00 am »

I have something like this:
code:

Top view:

+v+
+v+

level z-1:

+^0
+^0

0 - wall
+ - floor
v - down ramp
^ - up ramp

I built a 3x2 bridge over the six tiles on the top level, thinking that it would allow access from the right side to the lower level when raised, and to the upper level when down.  Unfortunately, when it's down, the tiles with ramps below it become impassible (I've confirmed this in adventure mode).

If it helps, here's a side view of the situation sans bridge:

code:

_ _
_/

Boethiah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: bridge over downward ramp makes square impassible
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2008, 06:49:00 pm »

Just to clarify, when the bridge is lowered parts of it will flash between the bridge and the ramp squares right? When the bridge is lowered obviously that will block the use of the upper ramps, rendering the lower ramps useless too. When you raise the bridge the ramps will be useable though.
quot;AHA!" Kodor cried, and opened the cabinet. Some crumpets fell out. The whole thing was stuffed full of them.

"Crumpets!" shouted the Captain in glee.

Hobo Symbols!

The Dark Bunny

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2008, 08:49:00 pm »

I think he means a dwarf can't walk along a ramp (without changing Z-levels) if the level above isn't clear.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2008, 02:27:00 am »

I'll take a look at it at some point.  I don't know of any reason why the bridge would do that off-hand.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

AlmostEverywhere

• Bay Watcher
  • Store item in stockpile
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2008, 09:04:00 am »

Ack, I think I explained badly.  The BRIDGE square is impassable.  Like, there's sort of a flashing black square (on the z-level above) where you'd intuitively expect to see just bridge.  And you cannot walk on that square on the upper z-level, where you'd expect to be able to walk since there's a bridge there.  You CAN still walk on the ramp on the z-level below, although you can't use it to move up if the bridge is raised (which is correct, I imagine).

Think of it like this:  If you have a bridge over a channel, you can walk on the bridge over the channel.  If you have a bridge over ground, you can walk on the bridge over the ground.  If you have a bridge over a downward ramp, you CANNOT walk on the bridge over the ramp; when the bridge is lowered, it's like there's a wall on that square and some funny graphical effect.  What I'd expect to see is no special graphics (the bridge is down, you can't see what's under it) and be able to walk over it like a bridge over a channel or over ground.

So in the picture above, when I built a bridge on the top z-level, I still couldn't move between the left and right sides of the bridge.  When I had miners remove the upward ramps on z-1 (without even touching the bridge), then I could travel over the bridge normally.  This was all tested in adventurer mode to make sure it wasn't just weird pathing stuff; the bridge squares with ramps below them simply couldn't be stepped on.

I hope that makes the problem more clear.

[ June 04, 2008: Message edited by: AlmostEverywhere ]

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2008, 09:36:00 pm »

Ah, so [tiles] [with ramps below it] rather than [tiles with ramps] [below it].  I'll reword the bug entry.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

roundedge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2009, 05:21:10 pm »

Just thought I'd mention that I'm experiencing this problem in adventure mode as well, in 40d