Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Item Hauling -- who should do it?  (Read 693 times)

whiterook6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Item Hauling -- who should do it?
« on: May 10, 2009, 09:31:50 pm »

So I just got a bunch of migrants, and I think I'm gonna make all the peasants haulers/smoothers/grunts. But I'm trying to decide if the professionals should do some hauling too -- just the items they'll need. Like, should I also have a Mason do Stone hauling?

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
Re: Item Hauling -- who should do it?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2009, 09:34:25 pm »

try using the ones you don't need such as soap makers and such. also use one's that you don't have current need of, after all what good is a weapon smith if you do not have an anvil?
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

sweitx

• Bay Watcher
  • Sun Berry McSunshine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2009, 10:11:28 pm »

Generally, you use the professions you don't need.
I would strongly suggest you combine a few not frequently used skills into one dwarf.  For example, clothmaking and leatherworking.  After that, assign any dwarf you don't need into general hauling.  I will suggest that you also activate siege-operating and pump-operating skill on for your haulers (I also included mechanics and masonry).  This will give a couple of advantages.

1. Give your haulers actual skills, potentially increasing their agility rating, allowing for faster hauling.
1.1. You can draft "upgraded" haulers into military, who will now have improved stats.
2. Increase the speed at which you construct buildings/traps (with mechanics and masonry enabled).
3. Better response for siege weapons for having more siege operators (a negative side is that they'll have hauling enabled, potentially causing them to be too busy).
4. With economy activated, it gives hauler a good source of income to prevent them from being too poor.
One of the toads decided to go for a swim in the moat - presumably because he could path through the moat to my dwarves. He is not charging in, just loitering in the moat.

The toad is having a nice relaxing swim.
The goblin mounted on his back, however, is drowning.

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2009, 10:40:27 pm »

Refuse hauling, wood hauling, burial, and to some extent item hauling will be more likely to bring your dwarves into dangerous areas--use expendable or well-armed dwarves for that (I like to give them wood cutting so they carry an axe).  Food, furniture, and stone hauling are usually safe (as long as your stockpiles aren't exposed) so you can assign them to the more useful dwarves.

Also, sweitx is right. Its better to give your haulers some trainable skill, or to just not have dedicated haulers at all.  I think it makes sense to have everyone do some hauling, reduces the chance that a given dwarf will have nothing to do. Some people like the control that a smaller group of dedicated haulers gives you though.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2009, 10:56:00 pm »

Put half (or some portion) of them into attribute improvement programs, like pumping, and the other half into doing your hauling.  Then rotate the best ones out and the newbies in - agile go into hauling, tough go into the military, strong either into stone hauling or the military.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2009, 11:19:32 pm »

Any idler is a hauler in waiting (usually literally). Assign anybody who's not currently producing anything or waiting for time sensitive tasks to haul. Remove their hauling labors when you put them back to work.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2009, 01:28:44 am »

It's not a matter of who should do the hauling (nobles), It's a matter of who will do the hauling.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2009, 07:58:52 am »

Ya, I usually have about 20 free idlers for hauling and designate the rest as carpentry, mason, mechanic, architecture. That way my megaproject constructions go much faster!  ;D