Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Insanity!  (Read 818 times)

Urist McManiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Insanity!
« on: May 07, 2009, 09:37:23 am »

So I'm going to make a mosaic. Not one of those lame crosses or whatever, no. I'm going to make a mosaic in form of my local map! Immagine a big hall, with a MAP, a REAL MAP on its floor!
In deed, its one z-layer of my tower, fully made out of obsidian, with a deep chasm-moat (over 20 Z-levels deep) filled with one z layer of magma. (So enemys will fall 19 z-levels and THAN hit the magma...).
But ofcourse, this is not dwarfy enough, so I have 2 questions:

1. What was the most insane thing YOU build in DF
2. Any idea what I could build in the rest of the tower?

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
Re: Insanity!
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2009, 09:39:31 am »

1. Uhm..didn't get that far.. my dwarves starved to death before it's completion.. An above-ground going underground mausoleum, completely out of obsidian!

2. MICROCLINE!

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2009, 02:38:43 pm »

So far? Turning the entirety of a bottomless pit into a magma reservoir...next to a volcano...with some floor tiles made out of ASH.
From Mr. Welch's 1350 things he is not allowed to do in a RPG:
148. There is no Gnomish Deathgrip, and even if there was, it wouldn't involve tongs.
171. My character's dying words are not allowed to be "Hastur, Hastur, Hastur"
218. No matter my alignment, organizing halfling pit fights is a violation.
231. I am not allowed to do anything that would make a Sith Lord cry.
240. Any character with more than three skills specializing in chainsaw is vetoed.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2009, 12:10:52 am »

What was the most insane thing YOU build in DF

A tower constructed entirely out of green glass blocks, sized to completely fill one game screen...

...wait for it...

...on a map without magma.

Xofrevlis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt Page
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2009, 12:53:48 am »

The most insane thing I built in DF so far is probably the model of a nuclear power plant I finished a few days ago. Thanks to Dwarven physics, it manages to generate about 3000 units of energy even without real convection.

My suggestion for the rest of your tower: make it so you can fill it entirely with water or magma at the flip of a switch. ;D ...Or, you know, maybe some fountains or something if you don't feel like annihilating everything inside.

Overdose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2009, 01:05:04 am »

my dwarf lake project from long ways back was a bit insane. 1fps for about 8 hours before i finally gave up on it

Lymojo

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:SMARM][PREFSTRING:pendulous balls]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2009, 01:09:43 am »

That mosaic is a sick idea. Well done, sir, please post back with your progress.

I just finished a neat mega contruction. It's a massive, four level circular tower that spills magma down the sides at all times. Very pretty, scary, and impressive for approaching allies and merchants.
However! When the gobbos come I pull a switch, and suddenly the lava, rather than spilling harmlessly into channels at the base of the tower, begins to creep outward.