Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Leave a fortress to its own devices.  (Read 1574 times)

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
Leave a fortress to its own devices.
« on: January 03, 2009, 01:55:47 pm »

I'm not sure if this has been suggested, but I found nothing in search, so I'll post this.

My suggestion is an option to quit a fortress, but rather than abandon it, let the AI take over management of it like it does with other cities. That was you could come back years later to see if it's survived well, or perhaps destroy it yourself... This would also allow the possibility of expanding your civ's domain indefinitely, perhaps even ruling the whole map eventually.

For adventurers it would also give a whole new challenge: conquer your old fort completely. With all the champions that some players have, it would be much more difficult than taking the average city.
This being Homestuck, I'm not sure whether that's post-scratch Rose or Vriska with a wig.

madrain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Leave a fortress to its own devices.
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2009, 04:22:19 pm »

I believe I've seen this suggested a few times, usually with a subject sentence indicating more abandon fortress options.  Anyways, I haven't been here long at all and I've read it more than once.  It's a good idea.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2009, 04:26:44 pm »

It has been suggested before but Toady has a lot of work to do before he can actually make that happen. (a lot of AI work)

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2009, 06:48:57 pm »

Well currently the guys don't need to eat so being able to arrange persistent guard posts that are rotated like in the regular play, saving of item placing and meeting zones that still work would be enough. Any royalty, administrators etc would spend time in their office so they're logical and easy to find

Being able to take over the existing parent civ would be nice too. As is, it's just a hole in the ground. Being able to build something grand in it's place is long overdue

The game doesn't need to be able to play itself, just look sweet when someone's adventurer rolls around

Oh and seas need to be redone, they flood any caverns below sealevel. Probably an issue for a time when freezing is made more realistic I guess, if ever. Get it all done at once
« Last Edit: May 22, 2009, 06:26:31 pm by Pilsu »

Hawklaser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2009, 12:46:31 am »

I agree that there needs to be more ways to stop a fortress. After all, once you get a stable fortress built what is to say it won't keep thriving after you stop.

I think it would be cool to be able to trade with your old fort, or have an adventurer go there and get quests. Or being able to stop playing the fort, start a 2nd in the same world, and being able to resume to the first at a later date without having to reclaim. After all why can't there be more than 1 current active game to a world?

Craftling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2009, 06:42:39 am »

If your fortress is under attack or unable to cope on its own it would say Quit Fortress. But if your fortress was functioning independentlythen it would say Leave fortress to its own devices.
The extent to which a fortress can cope independently would be judged on how many dwarves you have, what the surrounding area is like, how much food the fortress can produce and how isolated it is.