Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Neat embark for megaprojects, underground river and magma pipe, 3x3.  (Read 1091 times)

Vanguard Warden

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Sometimes you don't want to have every feature available on a tiny embark tile, as it just gets in the way of your work. I've been trying to a site like this for awhile now, and got lucky, so I figured I'd share it with all of you.

World Gen Data:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Embark Location:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It's 3x3, and if you extend it north a square you can get a bottomless pit too, if that's what you're looking for. The magma pipe is exposed to the air at embark, and can easily be walled off by closing a small gap to keep the fire imps out of your hair. The magma pipe is almost completely surrouned by a cave river with five squares of it on the 3x3 embark, the pit-end of which is only one embark tile to the southeast of the pipe. The river starts off the embark to the north, comes down along the pipe and hooks around it. The river had 5+ cave crocodiles when I popped it open. The whole area is fairly flat and easy to work with. No sand to speak of, unfortunately. Enjoy.

Grax

• Bay Watcher
  • The Only.
    • View Profile

No HFS = no embark!
Finis sanctificat media.

AncientEnemy

• Bay Watcher
  • The Answer is always POUR MAGMA ON IT
    • View Profile

that is actually a really cool embark. all the tiles except the upper right unembarkable mountain? i'd love to be able to make it 2x2 and get the pipe, pit, and river

[edit] wait what. im too tired. for some reason i thought the magma and pit were adjacent
« Last Edit: May 06, 2009, 02:49:00 am by AncientEnemy »

Grax

• Bay Watcher
  • The Only.
    • View Profile
Finis sanctificat media.

Grax

• Bay Watcher
  • The Only.
    • View Profile

Unfortunately, this place is 93 zlevelz of height, so i've got 100fps instead of 700-1000 when its 25 zlevelz at the embark.

Fortunately, magma pipe goes up to 91 zlevel, so... MEGAPROJECT!  ;D
Finis sanctificat media.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile

My current fortress is on a 6x6 map with a brook, flux stone, magma pipe, woodland, temperate, neutral, and to top it all off, on my way to digging a tunnel to the magma pipe I found a large cluster of bauxite! My fortress plan is essentially a huge tower starting at -14 with the surrounding ares completely dug out going up to +3 or so, with 1 bridge to the north to get in from a tower which acts as my gatehouse spanning from 0 to +5 or so. The map is pretty much everything I ever could have asked for! After I clear out the bauxite in my lava tunnel, I will bring lava down to the -15 level for my lava workshops... and of course for executions off the tower at +3. Nothing says "You're screwed" like an 18 z level drop into lava!

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Nothing says "You're screwed" like an 18 z level drop into lava!
So, you're not married?