Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Newbie question: Can you have multiple forts going at once?  (Read 714 times)

Chenzi

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

This is my second fort. Nothing bad happened to the first one, it's just not on the computer I'm using right now.

Anyway, my current fort is midway through the fifth year, and while things have been going smoothly...well, that's the thing. Things are TOO smooth. I have yet to see a goblin, kobolds are no threat to me since I have about 40 war dogs and a full military, and the wolves are extinct or something. I've had 6 dwarves die, 2 to mood failures, 1 to a wolf pack, 1 by throwing herself into a pond after a groundhog, 1 by a sparring accident, and 1 because that stupid mayor put her in jail and decided she didn't need to eat for 51 days. My population is at 94, and I have about 400000 wealth.

I was wondering if I could have another fort, or maybe an adventure mode game going on at the same time as this fort somehow, for a change of pace. Well, that, and I want to look at the legends. I could just abandon the fort, I guess, but I'm not sure if I want to do that.

General opinions and information would be appreciated!

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
Re: Newbie question: Can you have multiple forts going at once?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2009, 05:32:40 pm »

Currently, there is no way to play two forts in the same world without abandoning one first.

If you want to check legends, you can copy your save folder, load up the game, abandon your fortress in the copy, and then look at legends in the copy.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2009, 06:00:41 pm »

You can make a copy of the original world (if you have no fortress in it) or re-gen it, give it a diff name and have a diff fortress in that folder - but it's essentially a diff (if identical) world.

Currently no way to have 2 fortresses that could possibly interact.

Chenzi

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2009, 06:02:37 pm »

I see. Thank you.

I'll just muck around with this fort for a while longer, see if anything comes along.

If I get REALLY bored...there's always a brook right next to the fort that could "accidentally" be dug into.

...Does that make me a bad person?

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2009, 06:03:28 pm »

That makes you a Dwarf Fortress player.

It's up to you to decide whether that's good or bad.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2009, 06:04:15 pm »

It makes you a dwarven engineer.

Once you don't care about the fortress, you are free to run any number of dangerous experiments.  Once it all goes past the point of no return, just Abandon, and then re-embark elsewhere.

RedWick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2009, 08:14:22 pm »

One fort at a time per world, but you can have multiple worlds going.

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2009, 08:27:44 pm »

Also, if you get the King, your old fort becomes a mountainhome, and can be traded with after abandonment.

I think.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

Chenzi

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2009, 08:48:23 pm »

I decided to wait until Spring of the sixth year, to see if anything happened.

Shortly after the year change, an Elven ambush was discovered, the first time I have ever had a REAL battle.

However, since mere elves can never overcome pure dwarven might, they were easily disposed of.

Still, I suppose I'll keep this fort going then, seems like it might be getting a bit more interesting.

yuhhaur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2009, 09:07:41 pm »

If you need more interesting happening, try bumping up your wealth from 400k to 1million. You will get big sieges, more mindless nobles, etc...

And what about starting a megaproject?