Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is there a way to mass trade stuff?  (Read 1141 times)

fungee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Is there a way to mass trade stuff?
« on: May 05, 2009, 04:28:46 pm »

Hi there I'm new on these forums  ;D

I facepalmed myself double time when I found out you can mass dump and melt items... Is there a similar way to mass trade stuff in the trade screen and for moving stuff to the depot? I'm having serious issues with wood so I try not to sell the bins. All kinds of metal are very scarce too. Pretty annoying to mark that huge mass of stuff (mostly rock crafts made by legendary stonecrafter) for trading)!

It's my first proper game (after a few, yea I'm a newb) and after getting 40 of my dwarves killed by goblins (got no traps... I know, stupid of me) still going pretty fine, even though my fortress is all messy. 151 population and got 50 champion wrestlers now, hehe.
It's easy being an experimentalist. If you fail try again.

Elvang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Is there a way to mass trade stuff?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2009, 04:31:49 pm »

Only way to bring stuff to the depot in mass is through barrels and bins. You don't have to trade the barrels and bins, just select the contents of them for trading once they are in the depot.
The Practicalities of Fire Imp Defense
Tileset fonts for dfterm/telnet
Win 0.34.11 SDL with 7 binary patched bugfixes
Quote from: They Dig
I have come here to drink booze and breach HFS... and I'm all out of booze.

GoneWacko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2009, 04:32:31 pm »

I've been wondering about this too. On my first-and-so-far-most-successful fortress my main source of money was crafting.
80% of said crafts were not inside bins, making it horribly difficult to designate them all for trade one by one.

I couldn't imagine this feature not existing, but on the other hand, I would've expected someone to have brought it up in the Facepalm thread if it did exist...
This is a stack of 9 finely-prepared Prickle berry stew. The ingredients are finely minced Prickle berry, finely minced Prickle berry and superiorly minced Prickle berry.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2009, 04:35:33 pm »

Give your wrestlers hammers and armor.  Armor first.  You only need 8 of them to fend off an entire siege.  I mean a big siege.  Oh! If anybody gets nervous system injuries, give them crossbows.

To answer your questions, no.  There is no way to do either of those.  Depot and trade require down enter down enter... over and over.  Tedious.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2009, 04:41:39 pm by zchris13 »
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

fungee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2009, 04:39:04 pm »

Only way to bring stuff to the depot in mass is through barrels and bins. You don't have to trade the barrels and bins, just select the contents of them for trading once they are in the depot.

Thanks for the answer. I hope you can mark just the contents of the bin in some future version, for me that'd be easier. Marking the contents one by one is pretty tedious job (if you don't wanna trade the bins like me), when there might be hundreds of them. So I just have to trade the bins to save some time.

fungee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2009, 04:44:01 pm »

Give your wrestlers hammers and armor.  Armor first.  You only need 8 of them to fend off an entire siege.  I mean a big siege. 

Each and every one of them got some kind of plate mail (most of them crafted by my legendary armorer and others traded from merchants) and shield. Lacking in metal gauntlets and legwear/boots though. Training my champs with hammers as I'm writing  ;D. Biggest siege was 40 goblins and I had trouble fending that off, many of my legendary marksdwarves died (20 goblin archers/marksmen did most of the job) :(. Alot of my dwarves got burned to a crisp by that nasty dragon too! Titan got pwned pretty easily. 

Thanks for answering too!

EDIT:
If anybody gets nervous system injuries, give them crossbows.

Is there a description if dwarves got them? My legendary marksdwarf hunter stayed in bed for 5 years but I can't find a description if he got some nervous system damage...
« Last Edit: May 05, 2009, 05:02:51 pm by funkytrix »

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2009, 08:02:39 pm »

Use the + and - keys to scroll down under the "v"iew, "w"ounds menu.  Things like upper spine, lower spine, and brain injuries never heal.  The afflicted will also never spar.  They will, however, shoot at archery range.  So marksdwarves, fortress guard, or royal guard.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2009, 12:16:08 pm »

One thing that has been suggested is putting the finished goods stockpile right next to the depot, making it much easier to find the bins.

Goron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2009, 01:49:15 pm »

(got no traps... I know, stupid of me)
Stupid? No. I stopped using traps after my first fortress. They are too powerful, too cheap, and not much fun.

I prefer to actually have to use fortifications, defensive positions, and the like. I don't even use magma/water drowning chambers for defense either... Its all siege equipment, bolts, and melee weapons.
The game is much more fun when there is an actual challenge- traps negate the challenge completely.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2009, 03:41:39 pm »

(got no traps... I know, stupid of me)
Stupid? No. I stopped using traps after my first fortress. They are too powerful, too cheap, and not much fun.

I prefer to actually have to use fortifications, defensive positions, and the like. I don't even use magma/water drowning chambers for defense either... Its all siege equipment, bolts, and melee weapons.
The game is much more fun when there is an actual challenge- traps negate the challenge completely.
Yeah, my fortress is so surrounded and filled with rock traps and cage traps that I kinda doubt any enemy will ever reach my front gates (and, if they do, they'll discover that they've just stumbled into the far more dwarven flood chamber).  Not that any enemies have ever even reached my line of defence, due to all the war dogs I've chained up out there.