Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Under Ground River  (Read 894 times)

Rock_n_Rat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://none
Under Ground River
« on: April 30, 2009, 12:21:17 pm »

Ive been trying to get a map with an underground river now, but it has proven to be quite the...problem.
does that site finder (when it picks a map) only show maps that have everything i picked, provided there all green?
and also ive been trying to FIND the river in the map quick has proven to be impossible, so i think either the site finder is lieing to me, or im going crazy...

Smew

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill you with my bear face.
    • View Profile
    • Deep Games for Deep Gamers
Re: Under Ground River
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2009, 12:43:59 pm »

Underground rivers are usually pretty small, only lasting for about 10/20 tiles in my experience with them.
that, and they can also span a few z levels.
I would go into the init options and change the embark options to ALWAYS for features you want to find, that way you can see which area they are around on the embark map.

Rock_n_Rat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://none
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2009, 12:59:30 pm »

thanks ill do that, the sad thing is the one time i find one my dwarves punched through the the wall and got owned by the fishys XD

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2009, 02:08:39 pm »

Use shafts, not tunnels.  If you find damp stone via tunnel, back off and then come down.

You're lucky the river wasn't one level higher - that would have simply flooded the shaft out.

Smew - I agree with "usually", but in my current map I've got an UG river that spans 5 area tiles, from the edge up 3, over 3!*  (And it was optionally much longer on embark, if I'd wanted to go there.)

(* For those who don't know, an "area tile" is 48 tiles square, one of the symbols shown on the local embark map.  They dilineate the different stone layers and biomes on your game map.)

yggiz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2009, 02:15:30 pm »

Another hint to find rivers/pools/chasms.

Browse your bones and skulls listing in the Z->Stocks screen. Sometimes you will see "Frogman Skull" and some frogman bones. You can zoom to the location from that screen, and mark the box with a dig designation. This also works with random cave spider webs catching vermin, you can zoom tot he vermin remains even when the spot is not revealed. The bones/remains don't always appear, but it only takes one hit to locate the feature.

You can then immediately dig to that square to reveal the feature, or continue to plot out bones/remains squares until you have a rough area that you can control your entry into.

I try to dig staircases down into the "ceiling" of the feature, to keep safe from most things living there.