Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Storerooms and Vaults  (Read 1008 times)

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
Storerooms and Vaults
« on: September 07, 2007, 04:56:00 am »

Two important types of rooms I see as being inevitable would be storerooms and vaults.  Especially now that nobles might have some use, there's a lot of cool ways these could be handled.

Storerooms would be a room that functions like a stockpile, only assigned like a room, from containers (shelves or chests).   These could store anything from general goods, to trinkets or tools.  These could be owned by a dwarf- a store owning dwarf could keep extra merchandise in a storeroom.  They could synch up with workshops or stores, and store tools or materials associated with them.  They could have a special menu, like stockpiles have- but the big thing is that they could either be useable by everyone or only to certain skilled crafters or whatever.  They'd be more 'long term' than normal stockpiles, and would function as nice focal points for economical dealings, along with stores.  Bookkeepers could hang out around them and inspect them, or

Vaults would be rooms, owned by a noble or other rich person, or the fort as a whole, which would store precious metals, coins, gems, and trinkets.  They could act as a treasury, or just a place for rich dwarves to keep their glittering goodies.  Naturally, these would be big targets for intruders of all sorts; and reinforcing the walls and posting guards would be great fun.  There could be loot in containers, or just overflowing onto the floor.  These could be assigned from maybe a normal door, or a specially made 'Vault Door' or something.  

The important thing for both of these is that they be intuitive to use, and worthwhile to create.  Having a set place for goodies, where accountant nobles can tabulate is good.   Likewise, having a safe place for your fort's precious gold is nice too.

I'd like to hear what others think (This was written rather quick)- about these two rooms and other similar things that could be added in eventually to help organize and protect loot.

mickel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Storerooms and Vaults
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2007, 07:03:00 am »

I'm not sure how to assign something from a door. After all, which side of the door is the vault? Maybe a chest or something would work.

Other than that I like the ideas. In fact, I'm all for a new type of furniture too - shelf.

I know if I lived in a cavern, I'd carve shelves into the walls. But that's getting ahead of things a bit. Plain free-standing shelves are good enough for now.

I>What happens in Nefekvucar stays in Nefekvucar.

Tamren

• Bay Watcher
  • Two dreams away
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2007, 11:08:00 am »

A storeroom is pretty much an expanded bin. If you could designate an AREA as a storeroom and have its entire contents displayed on a single manifest, it would be highly useful. That way you could make a pantry fill it with barrels and examine the overall contents with one glance  :)

Vaults are kind of pointless now since the game lacks door locks that can be opened with keys and other such security measures. But then again, there is no form of thievery apart from kobolds yet, and they can get through any door if you lock it or not.

Fear not the insane man. For who are you to say he does not percieve the true reality?

Savok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2007, 02:05:00 pm »

"key" = "lever"
So sayeth the Wiki Loremaster!