Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Cat Cluster  (Read 1547 times)

mickel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cat Cluster
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2007, 09:59:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Blackcat:
<STRONG>
An elephant (size 20) and a mandrill are in the same square (limit 8). The mandrill loses time making way for the elephant. The elephant does not, as it's the only one left.
</STRONG>

I would have thought an elephant (size 20) wouldn't even be able to enter a square (limit 8). Unless aided by hydrualics.

I>What happens in Nefekvucar stays in Nefekvucar.

Blackcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2007, 10:13:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by mickel:
<STRONG>

I would have thought an elephant (size 20) wouldn't even be able to enter a square (limit 8). Unless aided by hydrualics.</STRONG>

Think of the size limit in a square being a 'collision' limit instead of a hard "will this fit?" limit. All it involves is using the existing sizes of creatures, some arbitrary size limit, and a bit of extra coding. No new data is needed, no new mapping info is needed.

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2007, 03:27:00 pm »

Not true.  It'd require the connection map to be updated for different sized creatures, which is a huge lag item as it is only running once.

Blackcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2007, 04:47:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Fieari:
<STRONG>Not true.  It'd require the connection map to be updated for different sized creatures, which is a huge lag item as it is only running once.</STRONG>

Eh?

I'll try again...

When you have multiple creatures in one square, you use their size values to work out if any, and which ones, end up losing time by 'making way' for the others in the same square.

All creatures sit in one tile, but they also have a size value in the raws. That size is not 'how many tiles' they occupy.

Zulaf

• Bay Watcher
  • Am I learning, or do I only think I am?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2007, 05:23:00 pm »

so basically the size value becomes the priority they get over the other creatures when it goes on the same tile?
WIERD 2-5-6-8-9-14

Blackcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2007, 07:06:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Zulaf:
<STRONG>so basically the size value becomes the priority they get over the other creatures when it goes on the same tile?</STRONG>

Exactly. With the option of allowing 'small' creatures to share the same tile without a penalty.

Also, I figure, based on a dwarf can move 'over' a bed without hindrance, that two dwarves should be able to share a tile without issue, but that's just me  :)

Pages: 1 [2]