Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Captive Giant Cave Spiders?  (Read 1491 times)

Lesconrads

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Captive Giant Cave Spiders?
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2009, 01:31:23 pm »

Why would anyone like to have an unlimited supply of extremely valuable silk Ôo... I simply can not understand that... Same with all that high value food or platinum doors.
I do prefer the mudhole my dwarfs dug in 200 and they do like their plump helmets even now in 250, after 50 years have passed...
NO WAIT!

But to add to your thoughts - I have read here, that gcs may pass moats on their webs, so be even more careful. I would simply suggest 2 rooms that can be separated, holes in the ceiling to drop kittens, kobolds, stupid dorfs etc so the spider can eat them. Now repeat in the other room. Separate them by pulling up a bridge or the like - and then collect in room 1. Start again :).

Vanguard Warden

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2009, 02:17:01 pm »

You really can't get a hostile spider on a chain? Is it just not an option, or is it that it'll attack the handler? What if the cage you pull it from is chain-adjacent?

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2009, 08:15:47 pm »

My entire fortress was wiped out by it.  ???
Couldn't forbid the caught dwarves stuff fast enough.
<o>rders, <F>orbid, toggle options as necessary.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2009, 08:54:07 pm »

Edit: I suck.

Now, the method I heard was a long corridor with doors at either end and the one wall being fortifications. In front of the fortifications in a drawbridge. You chain up a cat for it to shoot at and alternate forbidding the doors so it will run back and forth.

To collect the webs just raise the bridge so nobody gets scared by the eyes peeping through fortifications and you're set.

Also: are we sure that tame GCS won't shoot at hostile targets, like any of those numerous goblins we no doubt have caged?
« Last Edit: May 01, 2009, 01:12:29 am by Shoku »
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2009, 10:03:40 pm »

So if I wanted to capture say fire imps, I shouldn't tame them if I want them to attack imps for the front gates and or the eventual labyrinth?
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Smew

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill you with my bear face.
    • View Profile
    • Deep Games for Deep Gamers
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2009, 10:17:50 pm »

You can chain wild animals just fine, I've done it with a troglodyte before.
Of course, the dwarf was too stupid to go through the path that that Trog wasn't guarding, so the Troglodyte ended up dying in the long run. :(

Vanguard Warden

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2009, 03:59:22 am »

Eh, everyone I've heard from says that chained animals can't "path" to something out of their range. For example, dragons won't use their breath when chained up unless an enemy comes into melee distance.

A bit off topic, but I'm curious: What happens if you retract a bridge under a creature that's chained up? Does it snap the chain and fall anyway? Does it dangle?

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2009, 03:34:54 pm »

I've heard they unhook and fall from some of the automated meat industry threads.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.
Pages: 1 [2]