Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Migrants are evil  (Read 1679 times)

serephe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Migrants are evil
« on: May 01, 2009, 04:26:34 pm »

Hello

I have been playing Dwarf Fortress for a couple of weeks now. I am enjoying it a lot, however, one thing I do not like is the migrants. They always are coming in too large numbers at the wrong times.

Somehow they seem to think that I need lots of soap makers on my map where I do not have any sand. And when I kill them off with the orcs, suddenly another wave comes anyway.

Is there any way I can disable the migrants, and perhaps start with a couple more dwarfs and breed my own? That way I can build my fort slower, and not get disappointed because I had to make it "perfect" just to stop the dwarven nerd rage effect.

Thanks,
Serephe

Elvang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Migrants are evil
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2009, 04:33:55 pm »

In init.txt you can set the population cap to something like 7. You'll still get the first wave of immigrants but after that the only pop increases will be from births and nobles I think.
The Practicalities of Fire Imp Defense
Tileset fonts for dfterm/telnet
Win 0.34.11 SDL with 7 binary patched bugfixes
Quote from: They Dig
I have come here to drink booze and breach HFS... and I'm all out of booze.

geoduck

• Bay Watcher
  • mollusk
    • View Profile
    • Geoduck's Page
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2009, 04:51:29 pm »

Just in case you haven't realized this yet.. you can (and should) reassign all those soapmakers to more useful jobs. The Wiki covers it here:

http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Labor

If nothing else, build a barracks and turn them into wrestlers.

Note that the game will still call them "soapmakers" until they get skilled enough at their new job.
Geoduck's graphic set: simple and compact!

serephe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2009, 07:01:09 pm »

I've changed the ini like Elvang said to, playing another round now to see if it works. Unfortunately, it appears that my liaison is missing his left leg, and can't move more than one square without passing out from the pain.

I feel bad for him, I want to put him in a bed and give him booze and cow. :(

Michaelsoftman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2009, 07:07:13 pm »

I've changed the ini like Elvang said to, playing another round now to see if it works. Unfortunately, it appears that my liaison is missing his left leg, and can't move more than one square without passing out from the pain.

I feel bad for him, I want to put him in a bed and give him booze and cow. :(

Wait for him to pass out, then go build 8 beds all around him, so he'll pass out in one next.

serephe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2009, 07:20:47 pm »

Unfortunately, in my current location digging underground isn't an option. I'm being forced to live like a dirty elf. And to make matters worse, its only a 2x2 zone with over 50% of it being water. At least its not salt water.

My liaison has taken a turn for the worst however. He has been stricken with melancholy. I guess he is going to kill himself now? If he can ever make it to the water, hah.

Still no migrants either, which makes me happy.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2009, 07:37:18 pm »

He isn't trying to make it to water, he's trying to make it to an unclaimed bed so someone else can bring him water - in a bucket.

Go the beds route M described - if you lose that liason, you lose all control over what caravans bring.  Take it as a personal challenge.

WhatDoesThisLeverDo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2009, 07:46:10 pm »

I almost invariably hire them for wrestling squads. No armor, no nothing, just naked wrestling goblin-fodder. They do surprisingly well in battle all things considered.

Redhades

• Bay Watcher
  • That boy needs therapy
    • View Profile
    • My Linkedin.com profile is all bout me
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2009, 10:47:10 am »

Dig a drowning chamber.
It needs a water input controlled by lever an floodgate, some grates and probably the same for a water output.
A door or hatch that you can lock.
A whole bunch of levers inside that room so you can assign specific unwanted dwarfs to them.
The nice thing in the end is that you end up with a bunch of clothing to sell back to traders.

Wh1tefang12

• Bay Watcher
  • If all else fails apply magma
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2009, 01:19:18 pm »

I've had my own bad migrant experience. One a heavily wooded map, there was a magma pipe, i build a channel around the magma pipe to stop and fires, well an imp was outside the channel and started running around the map kill everyone who came near starting like 20 fires that burnt the entire map. During one of these fires a migrant ran through the fire caught on fire ran to a bed set it on fire, the people near the bed caught on fire , then the fire spread to everyone else taking my population from 60 to 3. First who is stupid enought to run through fire, second if you were on fire why would you get in a wooden bed?
Hmm whats that smell... Oh hi Urist still taking that nap, its been 5 months I can only manage to sleep 3 days. You might want to get that Axe wound checked out though; you are in the Hospital.

florian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2009, 01:52:54 pm »

..., second if you were on fire why would you get in a wooden bed?
Dwarven logic.

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2009, 02:41:28 pm »

The question remains: how to put out dwarves on fire. If you manage to do that reliably, you just build this setup in between the living area and the rest of the map. Tadaaaa, no more burning bedrooms.

serephe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2009, 04:07:35 pm »

I've yet to experience the joy of wildscale fire. The one map that had an open topped volcano also had skeletal fire imps... which were killed by the first recruit I sent at them. I was quite disappointed.

I'm looking for a map now, to start my human outpost. I'm looking for a 3x3 map, with a river heading either north/south or east/west, and a road doing the opposite. Also, magma in one of the 4 corner squares. And no aquifer. And nearby orcs.

Sadly, the search for such a good location seems to be a difficult one. But we shall persevere.

kuribo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.unexplainedbacon.net
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2009, 07:45:34 am »

Yeah, they may think they're gonna be fancy-boy soap makers when they come to my fortress. But they're only there a matter of moments before they're training for the military or toiling in a Mason's workshop!
I OFTEN BURN WHITE HOT AND DRIFT LAZILY ACROSS THE STRATOSPHERE EMITTING PIERCING SCREAMS JUST LIKE THE REAL SUN