Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Water Reactions  (Read 1195 times)

Fenrir

Water Reactions
« on: February 05, 2008, 01:59:00 pm »

Is it possible to make water a reagent in a reaction?

nunix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Water Reactions
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2008, 03:02:00 pm »

Reactions

Down in Notes. Looks like no-go.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2008, 06:44:00 pm »

Maybe extracts are not possible, but water is? I mean, there IS a task that brings water, both to an injured, and to a pond. The id for water is LIQUID_MISC:NO_SUBTYPE:WATER:NO_MATGLOSS.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Goran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2009, 12:28:22 pm »

No point opening a new thread... is there any way to make a reaction for ice blocks? This would create water as the block melts.

Lonewolf

• Bay Watcher
  • The Feral Observer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2009, 02:06:31 pm »

is there any way to make a reaction for ice blocks? This would create water as the block melts.
[REACTION:EXTRA_REACTION_4]
[NAME:create water blocks]
[SMELTER]
[PRODUCT:100:500:BLOCKS:NO_SUBTYPE:WATER:NO_MATGLOSS]

Goran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2009, 11:44:56 am »

No good,  tried that one, among others. It creates water blocks which instantaneously become water, not ice equivalent to that mined out of a glacier or frozen body of water. Alas, the smelting fountain still eludes us.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2009, 01:52:37 pm »

You can sort of do a work-around. You'd have to create a metal called "ice" however. You can limit its use to just blocks to simulate producing just large ice cubes, and then color it bright white to match the color of regular ice.

But you're not going to be able to create water.

You can, however, create unlimited water from ice if you have access to magma. 1/7 water will freeze into a block of ice. When this ice melts, it will leave behind 7/7 water.

You just need to have magma ebb and flow, periodically thawing and freezing your cistern.

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2009, 02:05:34 pm »

You can sort of do a work-around. You'd have to create a metal called "ice" however. You can limit its use to just blocks to simulate producing just large ice cubes, and then color it bright white to match the color of regular ice.

But you're not going to be able to create water.

You can, however, create unlimited water from ice if you have access to magma. 1/7 water will freeze into a block of ice. When this ice melts, it will leave behind 7/7 water.

You just need to have magma ebb and flow, periodically thawing and freezing your cistern.

Not according to the wiki article on Ice it won't.  1/7 water freezes to an ice floor, which melts to 1/7 water.  Greater than that is what freezes to ice walls and melts to 7/7 water.

This reaction probably comes down to temperature.  If water and ice are the same thing, as far as the game is concerned and differing only by temperature, then you should be able to create ice stones or blocks outside in winter.  If water and ice are different entries, then creating ice stones/blocks directly should be possible.

Smew

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill you with my bear face.
    • View Profile
    • Deep Games for Deep Gamers
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2009, 03:01:28 pm »

Now I'm curious, what happens when you have 1000 ice blocks dumped onto one spot and then they melt?

Axeforgebeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Attend Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2009, 06:21:22 pm »

Now I'm curious, what happens when you have 1000 ice blocks dumped onto one spot and then they melt?
Something downright Fun, I should think.

Meanmelter

• Bay Watcher
  • A Dwarven Demon, yeah, he is pissed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2009, 08:03:49 pm »

good point smew.

you get a mass-overload of water stacked ontop of water,so technicly a complete tile filled with water (or at least for the exact second)
huh. took a bunch of sleeping pills and slept in a pharmacist, wake up, i am now albino. 
Story of my life.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2009, 10:43:48 pm »

Ice blocks melt into a water item not a water flow.  The 1000 ice blocks would just turn into 1000 "water" and will likely get cleaned up by the nearest idle dwarf. 

Only natural un-dug  ice melts back into a flow, even walls and floors made of ice won't melt into a flow, if those would melt at all.

Of course that would be awesome if they did melt back into flows.  New way to drown the cloth fairies.

P.S. I just noticed the guest under Fenrir's name.  Did he go poof again or was this the old account?
« Last Edit: July 12, 2009, 10:45:23 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Goran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2009, 05:49:11 am »

Made an unreactionary workaround. Dtil and copy-pasting waterfall tiles managed with floodgates.

Smew

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill you with my bear face.
    • View Profile
    • Deep Games for Deep Gamers
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2009, 12:12:01 pm »

That sucks, I was hoping we would finally find a way to break the game.

Meanmelter

• Bay Watcher
  • A Dwarven Demon, yeah, he is pissed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2009, 12:33:34 pm »

well,i live in half ice and grassland and desert (well,its relly just a hot desert right next to the glacurs) and i was able to freeze water in a bucket and drop it in the desert,the funny thing is,it didnt melt
so it remained ice in a bucket
huh. took a bunch of sleeping pills and slept in a pharmacist, wake up, i am now albino. 
Story of my life.