Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What to clothes to make?  (Read 1090 times)

Tizer

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:awesome top hat]
    • View Profile
What to clothes to make?
« on: April 28, 2009, 01:51:36 am »

I'm at the pont that the economy has kicked in and my dwarf are running around in rags. But when I go to the clothiers shop I'm comforted will lots of cloths. What do you do? all on a rotation? what? I'm very confused.

Smew

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill you with my bear face.
    • View Profile
    • Deep Games for Deep Gamers
Re: What to clothes to make?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2009, 01:58:59 am »

Well, you really don't need to make any clothes for your dwarves if you don't want to.

yggiz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2009, 02:13:58 am »

I'm at the pont that the economy has kicked in and my dwarf are running around in rags. But when I go to the clothiers shop I'm comforted will lots of cloths. What do you do? all on a rotation? what? I'm very confused.

If you do want to, keep an eye on your current dwarves for what they usually wear, and make those. I like making leather clothing, and dyed cave spider silk. Just make what you want, it all goes to the same place.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2009, 02:38:26 am »

Clothes are armor, or so says the wiki (and that comes from the RAW's.)  Not very much, but some - and it all adds up.  (Coats especially, and cloaks, iirc.)

Check it out - I wouldn't recommend ignoring it.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2009, 10:53:09 pm »

I recommend ignoring regular clothing.  Dwarves clutter up the place with worn rags, and the armor from clothing is pretty negligible.

If you need a use for excess cloth or leather, make lots of bags, and crafts.

Zaranthan

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet Smelter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2009, 11:22:17 pm »

Ideally, go into the entity_default.txt file and remove all non-armor clothing from the dwarfs' knowledge base. Eliminates your own hassle, and guarantees that all clothier moods will produce something useful like a bag or rope.
Quote from: Howard, Nerf This, by Scott D. Ferguson
Villains sleep with hookers, heroes sleep with destiny.

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2009, 12:37:26 am »

Ideally, go into the entity_default.txt file and remove all non-armor clothing from the dwarfs' knowledge base. Eliminates your own hassle, and guarantees that all clothier moods will produce something useful like a bag or rope.

Wait, when did artifact adamantine coats become more useless than artifact bags? Regular clothes provide defense too. All depends on your play style I guess.

Time Kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Spirit
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2009, 01:09:04 am »

A full set of regulars is equivalent to chain for torso, I think, so definitely something to think about in high combat areas, also helps where it is cold enough to damage naked dwerfs.  I'm working on plans to lava soak individual rooms in cradlefires (two dwerfs burned in their beds the first month, so sounds like the name works) to clear cast offs with but a couple lever pulls of only a few levers. Just need to find a way to fireproof beds is all, or stick with washing it out.

kingpocky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2009, 07:31:14 am »

It says on the Armor page in the wiki:

"For some reason, dwarves will never put on cloth/leather caps or gloves (except those they arrive in). There are no "under" layer headwear or "over" layer handwear in the game; it is possible this omission is causing the clothes-wearing algorithm to be non-functional at this time. "

although I haven't seen that bug mentioned anywhere else. Does anyone else know about that?

What I find annoying is keeping all the useless goblin clothes a fortress collects separated from the slightly less useless dwarven clothes. I don't think there's any way to differentiate between them in the stockpile menu.