Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: DF Meetup technology coordination.  (Read 1456 times)

TurnpikeLad

• Bay Watcher
  • maybe this time
    • View Profile
DF Meetup technology coordination.
« on: April 19, 2009, 04:35:49 pm »

This thread is for figuring out technology-related issues for the DF Meetup on May 9.  There are two orders of business:

1- If you're going to bring a laptop capable of playing Dwarf Fortress, and are willing to let your machine be used to run a community fortress during the meetup, speak up so we can know you're out there.

2- Setting up some kind of streaming feed to the web would be great, but nobody who can do this has stepped forward yet.  If anybody has the resources to set something like this up, here's the place to announce it and figure out how it's going to work.

See you guys at the meetup!
Adon * Amil * Orethan

Sir Finkus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF Meetup technology coordination.
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2009, 04:49:11 pm »

My eee has a webcam and integrated microphone.  Provided I have internets I can do the webcast.  Dwarf fortress doesn't run very well on it, but it is playable.

TurnpikeLad

• Bay Watcher
  • maybe this time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2009, 04:51:07 pm »

The restaurant has assured me that they have wifi, so as long as your eee is wifi-capable, that should work.  Let's wait for others to chime in as well though.
Adon * Amil * Orethan

madpraxis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2009, 05:19:00 pm »

Ha...fun thoughts...I'd bring my laptop but its a dual core amd so we'd have to prop it above a block of ice to play df for more then a few minutes...Though..it does have built in stereo mic's on the top of the screen so I just had this hilarious image of senor tarn wandering around with my laptop opened up all the way and taped to his back with the mic ports on either side of his neck...tarn of borg will assimilate you all...now we just need a laptop with a built in cam so we can open that up all the way and tape it to his forehead....

Tahin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2009, 05:46:01 pm »

I've got a semi-decent laptop that can run DF reasonably well. It's small, too, so it's perfect for passing around. I don't mind you guys using it as long as I can keep a close eye on it. I've even got an external numpad.

dibujante

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2009, 11:39:12 am »

I have a dual-core MacbookPro running XP that we can use. I'll bring it.

It also has an integrated webcam and mic so it could serve as a backup webcast machine.

TurnpikeLad

• Bay Watcher
  • maybe this time
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2009, 04:58:36 pm »

All right, Finkus, if you're able to set up the infrastructure for a live webcast that would be great. 

Dibujante and Tahin, thanks for offering the use of your laptops..  Please bring them so we can run a fortress or two!

See you guys this Saturday!
Adon * Amil * Orethan