Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Save files in Vista  (Read 1084 times)

Spazz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Save files in Vista
« on: April 28, 2009, 01:11:07 pm »

This doesn't really fit anywhere else, so I'll ask here.

I do a large amount of experimentation... (Setting adventurers on fire and swimming out into the ocean, dropping entire fortresses into magma vents/chasms, trying to create a hydraulic supercannon, etc.)

Anyways, I'm deployed, and only have my laptop, which has vista instead of my preferred XP, and the "save" folder in my data folder is simply not there.  I have saved games, four worlds made, but none of them show.  I've already checked and it's not simply hidden.

Could somebody please tell me how to backup my worlds in vista.  I need means of recovering from the crashes I so frequently cause.  That and some of the oh-so-strange and unexpected things that happen in my mad scientist-esque experiments.
The freedom to be completely insane.

I am of the wimmens-species! I know, it's hard to tell dwarven women apart from men due to the beards. ...Er, not saying I have a beard, 'cause I don't... nevermind.)
-Moogie

0x517A5D

• Bay Watcher
  • Hex Editor‬‬
    • View Profile
Re: Save files in Vista
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2009, 02:39:28 pm »

It's Vista trying to be helpful.

Look under

C:\Users\your user name\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\Dwarf Fortress directory name\data\save

Or for Vista 64bit,

C:\Users\your user name\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\Dwarf Fortress directory name\data\save

Vista does this partially to prevent collisions between data files saved by multiple users of the computer, and partially for security, allowing Program Files to not be writable by standard users.

Personally, I think it was a bad idea.  (And don't get me started on the multiple levels of Registry redirection.)

Incidentally the easy way to prevent Vista moving the files like this is to just not put the game in Program Files.  I keep all my games under C:\Games.

CynicalRyan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2009, 03:45:10 pm »

Personally, I think it was a bad idea.  (And don't get me started on the multiple levels of Registry redirection.)

Of course, breaking all apps out there that aren't Vista-aware nor written to Microsoft's guidelines and API specifications is the much better choice, obviously.

Kardos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2009, 03:47:03 pm »

It's Vista trying to be helpful.

Look under

C:\Users\your user name\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\Dwarf Fortress directory name\data\save

Or for Vista 64bit,

C:\Users\your user name\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\Dwarf Fortress directory name\data\save

Vista does this partially to prevent collisions between data files saved by multiple users of the computer, and partially for security, allowing Program Files to not be writable by standard users.

Incidentally the easy way to prevent Vista moving the files like this is to just not put the game in Program Files.  I keep all my games under C:\Games.
Do you place your DF install in your program files folder?  I use vista too and I've never had this problem.  But all my DF saves go into their own folders that are created in and reside on the desktop.

0x517A5D

• Bay Watcher
  • Hex Editor‬‬
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2009, 07:51:19 pm »

Of course, breaking all apps out there that aren't Vista-aware nor written to Microsoft's guidelines and API specifications is the much better choice, obviously.

It's not obviously better, or Microsoft would never have programmed the redirection.

Nonetheless, it is my opinion that the Program Files redirection, as implemented, is worse than doing nothing at all.

If you want to argue otherwise, feel free to do so.

However, your sarcasm added nothing to the discussion.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2009, 09:19:09 pm »

Well, I just saved my DF folder to the desktop and I don't have problems with it.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Spazz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2009, 12:30:20 pm »

Thanks 0x517A5D, that worked.  A daisy chain of hidden files I wouldn't have thought of there.  Yes, I put DF in my prog files, trying to keep my machine neat and tidy as to where everything is, program files, not in several different folders.  I realize the error in that with vista now.  New question, if I simply moved DF to a folder not in prog files, will it break everything?  I just made my backup, yeah, but my net won't let me download right now.  So if I screw the game up, game over.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2009, 05:10:15 pm by Spazz »
The freedom to be completely insane.

I am of the wimmens-species! I know, it's hard to tell dwarven women apart from men due to the beards. ...Er, not saying I have a beard, 'cause I don't... nevermind.)
-Moogie

0x517A5D

• Bay Watcher
  • Hex Editor‬‬
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2009, 04:47:15 pm »

Thanks 0x517A5D, that worked.  A daisy chain of hidden files I wouldn't have thought of there.  Yes, I put DF in my prog files, trying to keep my machine neat and tidy as to where everything is, program files, not in several different folders.  I realize the error in that with vista now.  New question, if I simply moved DF to a folder not in prog files, will it break everything?

No, it won't break.  But you have to move both sets of directories, and do it in the right order, Program Files first, then everything in the VirtualStore.  Since you're worried, I suggest copying the files instead of moving.

So for instance, go to Start/Computer, choose the C: drive, make a new folder in it named Games.  Then open the new Games folder.  Leave it open.

Go to Start/Computer, choose C:, choose Program files.  Find the Dwarf Fortress folder in the list.  Right-click it, choose "Copy". 

Switch windows back to the open Games folder, right-click a white area (empty space), choose Paste.

Leave Games open.  Go to "C:\Users\your user name\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\".  Find the Dwarf Fortress folder in the list.  Right-click it, choose "Copy". 

Switch windows back to the open Games folder, right-click a white area (empty space), choose Paste.  It will complain that it may replace existing files.  This is OK.  Choose Yes to All.

Then all you need to do is change your shortcuts, if you use them.  Once you've verified that the game works in the new location, delete the old Program Files Dwarf Fortress and the VirtualStore one.  Delete them to the trash instead of a shift-delete, just in case.