Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Seeds (the stuff thats supposed to turn into plants, not the worldgen thingy)  (Read 621 times)

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

DF Wiki article about seeds

Wiki says "only 200 seeds per type"... I think that would explain some things I never understood ;D
Any way to work around this limitation and REALLY stock up on seeds?

The next thing I've been wondering is the storing thing. Is there any benefit from using barrels at all? Don't seeds get put in bags, and won't barrels hold one bag only anyway? Can I use leather bags? How many bags do I need for 200 seeds?

Smew

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill you with my bear face.
    • View Profile
    • Deep Games for Deep Gamers

Why would you want THAT MANY seeds? :P

Time Kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Spirit
    • View Profile

One bag would have a hundred seeds, and one barrel would have ten bags, if dwerfs were efficient and didn't make 1 seed bags.  That means 1 barrel for all underground plants.  The only way around the seed production limit I know of is to buy more from traders after you have reached it.

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Alright, thanks. Will leather bags work?  (Got somehting creeping around in the back of my head telling me I have to use cloth)

If I have two types of plants in my fortress, and I assign 2 2x1 stockpiles, one for each type, and set them to 0 barrels, those piles should hold all the seeds I can have (assuming I dont trade for more)?

Is there anything I should watch out for (other than assigning those piles like I described) so the bags dont get claimed for anything else?

Oh, and can there be different types of seeds in one bag? I assume not, I remember reading [type] seed bag.

cancel.man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Vegetarian Elf lover.
DF version 0.34.05 Lazy Newb Pack

Time Kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Spirit
    • View Profile

Multiple 1 season legendary growers?

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Guys, the question is not WHY I want to do what, but HOW to do what I want.

But if you not gonna drop it, I'll tell you:
I just wanna find out what amount of seeds I need before I stop worrying about a food industry breakdown  ;D
I dont know what kind of mental disorder I have to fight here, I just do it!

Zaranthan

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet Smelter
    • View Profile

The limit counts planted seeds, so it's a hard cap on how many plants you can grow. You can have fifty legendary growers and farm every tile of a 10x10 embark, but you can't have more than 200 of each plant in the ground at once. If you want more seeds than that, you can trade over the limit, or have the smelter spit them out.
Quote from: Howard, Nerf This, by Scott D. Ferguson
Villains sleep with hookers, heroes sleep with destiny.

Time Kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Spirit
    • View Profile

you should have seeds equal to twice the capacity of your farms, and enough millers/threshers/brewers to keep up between planting times.

I usually don't care for anything over 6 seeds with my 3x1 plots.

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I can live with the 200 limit, anyway, I guess, but what about
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=34976.msg535200#msg535200

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

As long as you don't cook your seeds or your raw plants, your farms will not break down.

To my knowledge, there's no functional difference between plant fibre and leather bags.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Time Kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Spirit
    • View Profile

besides potential dye adding another level of quality modifiers to the cloth, and quality cloth for that matter.

Zaranthan

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet Smelter
    • View Profile

Alright, thanks. Will leather bags work?  (Got somehting creeping around in the back of my head telling me I have to use cloth)
Bags are bags. The material affects their value, not their functionality.

If I have two types of plants in my fortress, and I assign 2 2x1 stockpiles, one for each type, and set them to 0 barrels, those piles should hold all the seeds I can have (assuming I dont trade for more)?
Yep. That's actually the best way to ensure you don't end up with a dozen bags with two seeds in each.

Is there anything I should watch out for (other than assigning those piles like I described) so the bags dont get claimed for anything else?
I've never found allocating bags for SEEDS to be a problem. The issue is getting enough spare bags to have some for anything else (sand, quarry bush leaves, etc).

Oh, and can there be different types of seeds in one bag? I assume not, I remember reading [type] seed bag.
I've never seen it happen, but I usually tell my dwarfs not to mix food. I've got plenty of space.
Quote from: Howard, Nerf This, by Scott D. Ferguson
Villains sleep with hookers, heroes sleep with destiny.