Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [2D Version] Any way to solve permaflood?  (Read 724 times)

Jiri Petru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[2D Version] Any way to solve permaflood?
« on: April 28, 2009, 06:04:15 am »

I've never played the 2D version and decided to give it a try. Well... after some misunderstanding with floodgates, I flooded not only the entire fortress but also the outside world. I abandoned, then reclaimed, hoping I could settle the fortress again. But the flood is still there and I can't dig into mountain in a different place (gets flooded immediately), neither build anything outsite (water everywhere).

I searched old topics here and found out this is called "permaflood". But I didn't find any solution and the Wiki doesn't have articles about the 2D version.

Does someone remember how to solve permafloods? Or is it even possible?

Thanks
Yours,
Markus Cz. Clasplashes

Aribar Hunter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [2D Version] Any way to solve permaflood?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2009, 06:51:15 am »

« Last Edit: June 04, 2011, 08:25:19 pm by Aribar Hunter »

Spazz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2009, 12:50:15 pm »

Aribar's right about the non-flooding wave, if you can manage to get a floodgate made you stand a chance.  If it won't let you build it for the water, well, I guess it's lesson learned.  I lost a few forts that way, owing to my habit of getting a fortress self-sufficient then permaflooding and sealing doors when the sieges come, you know, for the lulz.

For a far safer defense in 2d, use steam traps, magma channels by water channels, unlike 3d, it doesn't make obsidian, only a continuous cloud of hideously damaging steam.

Good luck with the unflooding!
The freedom to be completely insane.

I am of the wimmens-species! I know, it's hard to tell dwarven women apart from men due to the beards. ...Er, not saying I have a beard, 'cause I don't... nevermind.)
-Moogie

Jiri Petru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2009, 02:36:07 pm »

Thanks guys. Unfortunatelly, none of these solutions were possible, because I had every little tile outside flooded. I couldn't go to the flooded fortress, there was nowhere to build a new workshop and I couldn't dig into mountain, because it also got flooded immediately.

Nevermind then... I restarted with a new fortress and this time made some precautions - I build a small side entrance (not connected with the main fortress) that is shielded by channels. IIRC, the flood shouldn't get over the channels, right? This way if I ever need to reclaim the side, I have a guaranteed dry entrance to the cliff...

By the way, my second expedion got attacked by 7 beakdogs some month after arriving. 2 wounded and 1 healty dwarves survived. Wow. I guess losing really used to by fun in the old version  ;)
Yours,
Markus Cz. Clasplashes

pushy

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2009, 05:44:26 am »

I didn't find any solution and the Wiki doesn't have articles about the 2D version.
There are two wikis; one for the 3D version, one for the 2D version... http://archive.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Main_Page is what you're after :)
Quote from: Tim Edwards, PC Gamer UK
There are three things I know about dwarves:
1. They've got beards. Even the women.
2. They're short. Especially the women.
3. They're Scottish.