Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Carp trap:would this work  (Read 577 times)

tomas1297

• Bay Watcher
  • Lack of originality.
    • View Profile
Carp trap:would this work
« on: April 29, 2009, 02:19:28 am »

1.Hi.
2.Ive had the luck to embark on my favourite type of um...place.River,forest,mountains and a chasm.And then there was the dreaded carp.So ive thought that if i could catch them in a safe way i could make a lot of dwarfbucks.Are carp capturable by cage traps?
3.If so would this work?

>       ~~~
Chasm--------G--C--G-~~~
                                ~~~

~-river
G-floodgate
- -channel
C-cage trap
> -stairs

Both floodgates would be connected to different levers for draining.Im quite sure carp are expensive and have a lot of meat.

4.Sorry if this should be in dwarf mode discusion.im quite confused -this is about DWARF MODE but this is a QUESTION :P
« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 02:22:11 am by tomas1297 »
There was a time when cocksuits would have offended me. It's kind of bad that the time has passed.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
Re: Carp trap:would this work
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2009, 07:53:39 am »

This does work, but I think a better trap was one that goes so.

Code: [Select]
~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~
##X########
#<.....^
##.....^

There is no real need for a chasm, carp will wonder into the holding area, but turning them into warcarp will take a lot more effort.

Naia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2009, 02:08:17 pm »

About 2. Yes you can catch them in cagetraps. I tried whit both wooden and glass, and it works fine. The glasstraps can then be deconstructed, and build where you want as a normal aquarium, carp staying inside. Not sure about wood/metal, perhaps they airdrown if you try the same.

However i never gotten much further than this. You can't tame them, unless you mod the game. So im assuming if you try to trade them, they will get released from the cage, and probally fight/scare your dwarfs like any other untamed critter. Likely it's the same for butchering.

But it's an area i find interresting. Some dwarfs have carp/pike as favored animals, and since they have a high value, you can add a lot of value to a room + getting a happy thought.
It should also be fairly simple to add carp/pikes to your drowning champers for extra bling, either releasing them from cages whit levers, or perhaps you can dump them into a pond one z level down like whit garbage.
My fish usually dies whitin the first year or to, so whatever you can breed them or not is another thing worth looking into.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2009, 03:15:47 pm »

Someone has once tamed and trained carp. The problem was making sure the training did not airdrown them. I'm pretty sure there were two threads on it.