Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Urist McMoody cancels strange mood: gone insane  (Read 767 times)

Iapetus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Urist McMoody cancels strange mood: gone insane
« on: April 20, 2009, 04:38:58 pm »

One of my craftsdwarves got possessed, claimed a workshop, collected his materials (3x native aluminium and a turtle shell), and started his construction.

After working on it for an inordinate amount of time (and he was working on it - I checked earlier), he suddenly went insane.

What would have caused this?

There was nothing near him that would have disturbed him, as far as I could tell, and nothing happened to the workshop.
Engraved on the floor is a well-designed image of a kobold and a carp.  The kobold is making a plaintive gesture.  The carp is laughing.

Walliard

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
Re: Urist McMoody cancels strange mood: gone insane
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2009, 04:43:39 pm »

Interesting. I've heard of dwarves going insane while gathering materials, but not while working.
Toady, how much of DF is inspired by Labyrinth? Is Armok actually David Bowie? Because that would simultaneously be disturbing and awesome.

Exponent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2009, 04:48:34 pm »

Just to confirm, check the messages (a) and ensure that there was a message "McX has begun a mysterious construction!" at some point.  Let's see, there's the "McX has been possessed/has withdrawn from society/et cetera." messages.  Followed by "McX has claimed a ? workshop."  And after materials have been gathered you should get the mysterious construction message.  Like Walliard, I've never seen an insane dwarf result after this message is received.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2009, 05:30:41 pm »

The implication is that he never actually started his construction, he was just sitting in his workshop waiting for the next material...  Do you know for sure that you did get the "started a mysterious construction' message?
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Tcei

• Bay Watcher
  • Fear me! I am Bekat the Adorable Skull!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2009, 05:44:15 pm »

Did you happen to mass forbid the stone the workshop was made of? If so that'll cause the dwarf to go insane as he now considers it deconstructed. This will also happen if you have magma forges and the magma beneith it dips below 4 depth, the workshop goes inactive and the dwarf goes insane cause h cant finish his masterpiece.
....They just refuse to stay down unless butchered, in which case their skins will haunt you until you subdue and tan them. Never has legendary butcher and legendary tanner seemed so valueable as in this release.

Iapetus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2009, 12:33:37 pm »

I definitely got the "... has started a mysterious construction message".

Did you happen to mass forbid the stone the workshop was made of? If so that'll cause the dwarf to go insane as he now considers it deconstructed. This will also happen if you have magma forges and the magma beneith it dips below 4 depth, the workshop goes inactive and the dwarf goes insane cause h cant finish his masterpiece.

That's probably the most likely cause, as I'd been doing quite a lot of forbidding and unforbidding to micromanage both the artifact production and for making bauxite mechanisms and floodgates.
Engraved on the floor is a well-designed image of a kobold and a carp.  The kobold is making a plaintive gesture.  The carp is laughing.