Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: How do you run your military?  (Read 3774 times)

ephrion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How do you run your military?
« Reply #45 on: May 03, 2009, 12:32:27 am »

I keep about 10 swordsdwarves.  The champions usually kill each other before they get too strong, so it keeps it interesting on the melee front.

I also have about 10 marksdwarves.  They're extremely efficient when you have a two story wall, with fortifications carved into the second story, and a huge ammo stock pile directly behind them.

Veroule

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 03, 2009, 01:38:08 am »

I tend to draft 2 from the first immigrant wave.  They are supplied a shield and a helm, and train in wrestling.  Later immigrant waves bring my military total to 10.  They are started in the same fashion.  Each dwarf remains a squad to themselves.

As they devleop armor user and greater stats they are supplied more armor.  When I can make decent full sets of armor and silver war hammers they get switched to hammer and are carefully decked out in good armor.

By the time they achieve legendary with the hammers I have a sizable stockpile of bone/wood bolts.  I set them to crossbows.

Defeating a siege tends to only require 1 or 2 of these fine soldiers.  The moment the siege appears I call all of them to active duty and station them at the gate.  The first two to show are dispatched to the siegers.  Most of thier kills actually come from hammering the siegers with the crossbow.

I don't use stockpiles for my practice bolts, and don't produce any metal bolts.  Once all the military has reached legendary in marksdwarf I stop bolt production.  I let them use up the entire supply.  After a siege I produce a few stacks of bolts, and once they have refilled thier quivers I then unforbid all the fired bolts.  This causes the military dwarves to run out, grab them, and shoot them at the ranges.
"Please, spare us additional torture; and just euthanise yourselves."
Delivered by Tim Curry of Clue as a parody of the lead ass from American Idol in the show Psych.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 03, 2009, 09:13:09 am »

Close to maximum range on the archery range.  Works like a charm.  The bolts go flying past the targets.  Yum.  (idea!: Alternating archery ranges.
| ---> |
| <--- |
| ---> |
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

ZomBuster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 03, 2009, 11:31:31 am »

Military? What is that? I do have some armed dwarfs to laugh at the goblins getting cut in pieces/drowned/burned.

Incendax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 04, 2009, 11:08:52 am »

20 Champions.

Phase 1: Take any peasants and put them on the Screw Pumps until they are Legendary Pump Operators. Take those Legendary Dwarves and recruit them as Wrestlers for the rest of their lives.

Phase 2: Train up an Armorsmith and give those 20 Wrestlers a full suit of Masterwork Steel Armor & Shield. This phase takes a bit longer but I ask the traders to bring me Iron, Pig Iron, and Steel from the very first year.

I leave them off-duty to constantly train. They get very impressive within 2 years. I only put them on-duty when an enemy shows up or as a pre-emptive measure against ambushes when I'm going to start a Megaproject.

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 04, 2009, 02:20:48 pm »

On my current fortress, I make use of the fortress and royal guards. Basically, there is one single entrance hallway on my outside keep (full of weapon traps filled with green glass weaponry). On top of this hallway there is my barracks and my shooting range. Also, all my soldiers are legendary wrestlers on top of anything that they may also be. Pretty much my 24 legendary wrestlers guards, the axeman guard/royal guard (he got the damned artifact silver plate armor, so I got him a good job. :P), the 5 markdwarves and the 6 legendary axedwarfs (ok, 5, plus one on his way. Cursed be my first captain of the guard, who fell on a pond)
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

Time Kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Spirit
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 04, 2009, 10:10:48 pm »

Into the ground.

Or off handedly.

Or relying entirely on minutemen militia.

But it looks like cradlefires will be getting the mass wrestling training option, since there is not that much work to be done in a fort with minimal diggings.  More chances for them to leap off batlements into lava, I guess.

Skooma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 04, 2009, 10:58:19 pm »

I go for small fireteams with action stations already set. 2 dwarf teams for marksdwarfs and 4 for melee. If an invasion shows up I order everyone inside and put troops on duty. They predictably take their sweet ass time getting to action stations. Ideally the gobbos get thinned out by cages and other traps and my champs mop them up.

Incendax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 05, 2009, 12:23:38 am »

I must be doing something right with my military. I just had a dragon arrive at a new fort (trying the Axes Only/No Trade Challenge) and I had no traps due to no digging to build Mechanisms. I told my third year champions to gather at a single point and everybody did except one single unarmored, unshielded champion wrestler dwarf.

That one wandered off right into the Dragon's path. I queued up a wooden coffin.

That lone naked Wrestler beat the thunder out of that dragon and didn't take a single wound. She is now Urist McDragonpants.

Pjoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 05, 2009, 08:50:25 am »

I hope my Siege Operators are not asleep :/
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]