Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Irrigation Frequency  (Read 620 times)

cancel.man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Irrigation Frequency
« on: April 27, 2009, 11:14:03 pm »

Hiya

I have some tower cap farms complete with irrigation system. The whole thing is really quite beautiful.

I'm wondering, though, how often I should flood (irrigate) my farms. Will new tower caps sprout every time I flood the room or is there a limit to the time of season or number that will spawn in a season? Will they continue to sprout throughout the season even without flooding?

Fortunately when I flood none of the existing young tower caps wash away, but I can never tell if new ones are popping up in addition (I could take a precise count but... nah)- and even if so, I don't know if they're popping up because of the irrigating or because they would anyway.

For anyone else interested, tower cap farms are A) time consuming to set up, B) slow to produce wood, and C) quite dwarvenly. I thought I'd try (for my second embark ever) a mountain with few trees... and no magma. Year 4 and I still can't produce enough fuel to smelt the tons of iron all around us... And a GCS has moved into the area where trees naturally grow so even when they grow back... I'm not sure I wanna go after 'em.
DF version 0.34.05 Lazy Newb Pack

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
Re: Irrigation Frequency
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2009, 11:22:01 pm »

As long as you have underground mud, you have tower caps. Aside from some construction-like thing, mud needs a dwarf to clean it to get rid of it.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

cancel.man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2009, 12:14:59 am »

As long as you have underground mud, you have tower caps. Aside from some construction-like thing, mud needs a dwarf to clean it to get rid of it.

Right. The mud doesn't go away. But I wondering if the act of flooding/irrigating promotes more growth.

As in... it's just mud... but then it mud with 1/7 water... and then it's mud again, but will a tower cap be prompted to grow?

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2009, 12:17:55 am »

Never seen any comments to that effect, but that doesn't mean that anyone has ever tried. 

Important part would be to create two "identical" environments, side by side, and compare.  Not too hard, but that control would be key.

Also note that walking on young TC's kills them.

cancel.man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2009, 12:32:44 am »

Also note that walking on young TC's kills them.

Another curiosity that reminds me to ask: Does cave spider web spawning on a tile keep a tower cap from spawning on that tile? Been my other big question in this process- some of my TC farms are full of spider webs.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2009, 10:15:45 am by cancel.man »

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2009, 12:52:24 am »

Have NO idea, but I would guess... yes.  Just because the game doesn't seem to like to generate two items in the same place, only via dwarf actions.

Could easily be wrong, but that's my gut.  (Again, never seen anything about it.  It'd be hard to prove they don't, since TC growth is random and scattered.)

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2009, 08:10:26 am »

Naw, you just need to make sure you don't weave any of the web or walk through the area and pretty soon it will be full of webs. Then if you're note into counting cut down any existing towercaps using restricted zones to make sure there's minimum web destruction and then just wait and see if you get any new trees.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.