Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: dirt floors  (Read 686 times)

Nightwind

• Bay Watcher
  • The wind has no destination
    • View Profile
dirt floors
« on: April 27, 2009, 08:38:23 am »

I want stone floors, smooth ones, or a road...

I channel this dirt floor, then buld a stone floor where it was?
GENERATION 28:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: dirt floors
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2009, 08:40:35 am »

A "channel" is a bit like a mining designation from the z level above.

I dont really understand your question, but I assume you want stone floors on z levels that are actually just dirt, and not stone yet.

Just dig that tile out (whether from the same level using d or from above using h doesnt matter all that much, but usually d is simpler) and then you just b>C>f over that tile.

Nightwind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2009, 08:50:43 am »

I'm trying to get a road all the way into my fort, to build a depot under cover, so I can trade without trouble, and I keep getting messages that seem to indicate my dirt floors woln't work, so I need to get rid of them, right?
GENERATION 28:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2009, 08:59:43 am »

I think you are trying to make dirt roads, which are blocked by trees and such. Simply cut away the trees and construct the roads you want.

Also note, dirt roads simply take away grass to make a dirt road feel. After a little while plants will grow back. Make a stone road to prevent plants from growing and blocking the road.

Note: Dirt roads can only be made on plain grass on dirt. Clear away boulders, shrubs, tree and such to make a dirt road.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2009, 09:24:46 am »

just for clarification, now that we can expand b>C-onstructions like, is there any difference to using them instead of roads?

Stone amount?

Wild Goose

• Bay Watcher
  • My Avatar Has Something Green. Yay solidarity!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2009, 09:27:15 am »

Roads take less stone, but they also can't be build upon.  That includes traps, I believe.  You could try interrupting your road every once in a while with floors, so you can lay traps, though.
"Adventurer's Motto; Take everything not nailed down and nail down whoever tries to stop you."

"Whatever happens, we have got the ballista and they have not."

The dwarven economy is just a stand-in, from what I understand. As it is, it represents an actual economic system about as well as poison ivy represents a salad.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2009, 09:27:48 am »

b>C's can have furniture made on them. Roads cannot. Roads also cannot be made over open space, and are a lot more restricted over where they can be placed. A wall can be a made on s shrub. A road cannot.

Roads are basically just to prevent plants from growing so there is always access to the fortress for traders. You can do that with floor tiles, but it takes more time and stone.
 Unless you have mined most of the map and you have an army of masons...
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2009, 09:32:55 am »

Alright, thanks o7

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2009, 04:42:33 pm »

Some number of roads is also needed to trigger the arrival of your ruler via that particular method, right?
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

Time Kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Spirit
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2009, 05:58:11 pm »

Roads can also get a quality modifier from your architect/mason/carpenter/metalworker/someone so your immigrants quickly become ecstatic as they approach your fortress. Roads use the same amount of stone as bridges, which is one third the amount of spaces they cover rounded up.

Captain Xenon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2009, 09:34:05 pm »

well, you could always use magma and water to obsidian-farm the area in question. magma solves everything! :D and then you can mine through, or run the road over the top.

Nightwind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2009, 10:05:08 pm »

if I pave my tunnels with masons and floor blocks, can I engrave the floors?

Should I engrave floors, what with tower caps being able to ruin that?
GENERATION 28:

Smew

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill you with my bear face.
    • View Profile
    • Deep Games for Deep Gamers
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2009, 10:23:03 pm »

No, constructed anything's cannot be engraved or smoothed.

It depends on whether or not you want to engrave, or even smooth the floors, I wouldn't bother smoothing or engraving, as once the towercaps are cut down the floors should go back to normal cavern floors, or sand floors, plus if your engravers are legendary it could potentially put them in a bad mood if a towercap ruins their masterpiece. :x