Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Alternative flooding chamber  (Read 989 times)

malachi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Alternative flooding chamber
« on: April 26, 2009, 05:07:48 pm »

My fort has a 3-tile wide tunnel entrance which leads to the depot (raised 1 z-level with ramps). The tunnel has a tunnel above it that will (eventually) be filled with water from the nearby brook.
I'm planning on opening floodgates next to the ramp to the depot and flooding the tunnel with water, and pumping it back into the above tunnel with windmill / waterwheel powered pumps at the end of the tunnel in order to just constantly push goblins (and merchants, when I get bored) out of the tunnel.

Assuming I can get the water to not spill out into the wild, would it actually push people through the tunnel?

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
Re: Alternative flooding chamber
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2009, 06:38:11 pm »

Yes. 

The bigger the flow the better, so instead of floodgates (which also have a significant lag after a lever is pulled) perhaps a retractable bridge on the floor of the upper reservoir, maybe 2x3 or so? Big open maw of water pouring down.

It also pushes their items, so put a grate or bars over any drains to catch same if you care.

malachi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2009, 07:55:31 pm »

The nifty thing, though, is that the water drains "up" - so nothing gets lost.

Can archers shoot through water on the same level as themselves (if I managed to make the water not go through the fortifications via liberal use of pumps)?

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2009, 07:56:31 pm »

Keep in mind that due to the way water flows in DF, 7/7 depth water won't actually push anything, so you'll have to find some way of keeping it from getting that high.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

malachi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2009, 01:56:32 am »

I haven't quite finished it (barely got enough of it built to funnel water in the right direction), but I tested it on my 3rd siege. The initial startup time is far too long (pumping it up out of the river 3 or 4 z-levels, horizontally moving it about 30 tiles or so, and then letting it fall and move down the ground tunnel).

To my amazement, after the siege ended (didn't catch any gobbos in it this time...) my dorfs started picking up turtles. From the water that never had any turtles to begin with.
EDIT: They were also dead, I think...

Any idea why this happened?

Smew

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill you with my bear face.
    • View Profile
    • Deep Games for Deep Gamers
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2009, 02:39:29 am »

I haven't quite finished it (barely got enough of it built to funnel water in the right direction), but I tested it on my 3rd siege. The initial startup time is far too long (pumping it up out of the river 3 or 4 z-levels, horizontally moving it about 30 tiles or so, and then letting it fall and move down the ground tunnel).

To my amazement, after the siege ended (didn't catch any gobbos in it this time...) my dorfs started picking up turtles. From the water that never had any turtles to begin with.
EDIT: They were also dead, I think...

Any idea why this happened?
Turtles can come from any body of water ever, aquifiers, aquifiers in glaciers, etc, etc.