Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarvern Super soaker. + Drainage  (Read 959 times)

chaos985

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarvern Super soaker. + Drainage
« on: April 27, 2009, 06:07:15 pm »

Im working on building a hallway super soaker.  Its eventually going to cover my main entrance.

I gave it my first test run.  It proved to be really effective, firing water over a 5 tile wide chasm.

Its powered by a 20x20x3 + 20x40 at the top. flooding tank, thats fed from a river. (2000 squares )

Those are fortifications covered in water, setup to act as a goblin elf human free stuff filter at the end.

My initial tests went well, but im going to need to install a set of drainage ditches along that hallway, to empty it after im done.  It takes way to long right now.

Now to the questions.

At the end of the hallway, i want to add an openable to the pit.  About 2 x 4 wide.  Im debating between using a drawbridge for this, or a bunch of hatches.

When in the OPEN postion, does the drawbridge count as a wall againse water?

Can things move over an Open Hatch?

Can i force hatches to stay open so that elves things being puhsed by a torrent fall into them after bouncing off my fortifications.

Do things that hit fortifications at a high speed take damage when being pushed by water?  What about when they hit walls?

If there is no impact damage, whats the Lowest Z level to guarantee a kill of almost anything?

Ideally i want to be able to trap anything down there.  Im going to make it mostly fortifications to drain quickly, but also add two floodgates that open into the chasm, or a drawbridge on the other side, depending if i think its worth trying to capture whatever.

Im reluctant to use a drawbridge at the top over the big hole, because if it can swim, and is staying at the top, i could possibly atom smash it.  (of course if its that powerful, i may WANT to atom smash it.)    Hatches may provide things something to stand on that they dont fall down the hole, im not quite sure how they work in that reguard..

Assuming theres impact damage, the ability to "flush" units into the fortifications should be enough.

If theres not, ill just build a catcher of floor grates about 5 z levels down in the chasm, again sealed from direct access except for through a drawbridge when i want to A) clame the stuff, or B) bait whatever may have survived into a hallway full of cages/traps/mortar rounds (semi controlled cave ins).

===========

Summary, im trying to build a flood basin that allows me to trap or flush anything. Need help in deciding if i should top it with a drawbridge, or hatches.

Also, one final unrelated question.  If an Enemy ends up in your soldiers barracks while they are training, Will they attack him even if off duty?

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarvern Super soaker. + Drainage
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2009, 07:03:59 pm »

I think the enemy would be guaranteed death.  From your soldiers, I mean.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2009, 07:23:17 pm »

bridges, when open, won't count as a wall IF you set it to be a retracting bridge.  Drawbridges do count as walls when open.

A fall any distance can be mostly mitigated with the presence of water.

I don't think having them hit the fortifications would work, no.

I did something fairly similar before.  If this is going to be your main hallway, you are going to have dwarves end up washed down, due to child snatchers triggering it, etc.  What -I- did to fix this is the following.  I made a 1 Z level drop, and at the bottom I had a filter, to filter out my guys and the enemies.

X is Pressure Plate
= is bridge
Side View:
Code: [Select]
X==========
|____________

When a creature steps on the pressure plate, the bridge retracts.  There is a delay between the pressure plate and the bridge, so make sure the bridge is 10 squares long (Of even better 2 bridges 10 squares long), otherwise they could get all the way across the bridge before it opens up, especially if they are more agile.  Also, make sure at the end there is a way out, so they would try to run across it.

When they drop down, it's another 1 Z level drop.  I then had them run through a maze which ended in their death, pretty much no matter what.  It was really quite fun to see how far they could make it (You could just have a 10 Z level drop instead).

Good luck!
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

chaos985

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2009, 08:04:21 pm »

child snatchers can be delt with by the archers im going to station Directly above it.

this is for dealing with something that is there to potentially cause "fun" such as large scale seiges.

Considering that there is no impact damage (i was hopefull, this game is good about that) im just going to remove those fortifications, and put a "basket" a few Z levels down.  Have it be grates to let the water through, but not the whatever, then have a switch to provide an exit point into a 1x20 at least hallway of traps.

theres a few things i think water cant kill, but id be willing to bet it can be pushed around.