Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dealing with Elf Caravans  (Read 448 times)

Detrivus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dealing with Elf Caravans
« on: April 29, 2009, 08:54:24 pm »

So I just got an elf caravan carrying a total of 300* in valuables.  It was a myriad of wood logs and a few prickle berries.

Is there any action I can take that would encourage the elves to bring useful things, like exotic animals?

Smew

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill you with my bear face.
    • View Profile
    • Deep Games for Deep Gamers
Re: Dealing with Elf Caravans
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2009, 08:56:57 pm »

Give them lots of profit.

Walliard

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2009, 08:57:38 pm »

Yeah, if you let them leave with a sizeable profit they should bring more next year, hopefully including more of what you're after.

Though they could just bring a ton of rope reed cloth, too.
Toady, how much of DF is inspired by Labyrinth? Is Armok actually David Bowie? Because that would simultaneously be disturbing and awesome.

Detrivus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2009, 09:00:13 pm »

Gross, I don't wanna give those greedy hypocrites anything.

I'll give them profit.  Or I'll arrange an accident.  Not certain yet.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2009, 09:00:57 pm »

They brought you wood, instead of bins and bins of cloth? That's a pretty good elf caravan, at least in my opinion.

Supposedly, if you buy enough of an item, the caravan will bring more of it. So theoretically speaking, if they bring exotic animals in the future and you buy them for large profits, they'll bring more. I say theoretically, because I can't say for sure that the kinds of things you buy have any bearing on what they bring the next year.

Mostly, you can just pray.

There is one option though. If you save before the elven caravan arrives, you can see what kind of junk they bring, and then save-scum if you don't like their haul.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Smew

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill you with my bear face.
    • View Profile
    • Deep Games for Deep Gamers
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2009, 09:06:15 pm »

I think Caravans bring you things you don't have much access to, freezing climate with no trees? they'll probably bring you wood.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2009, 09:39:59 pm »

I've had good elf caravans in my fort. Tons of wooden crap, but two grizzly bears, two black bears, two jaguars, and a cougar.

Of course, I've only traded with a few. I started drowning them after a few years, and kept to it.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.