Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [40d] Channel + Brook = WTF!?!?!  (Read 1184 times)

varkarrus

• Bay Watcher
  • Insanity and a knife go well together.
    • View Profile
[40d] Channel + Brook = WTF!?!?!
« on: April 25, 2009, 08:44:58 pm »

If you dig a channel on a brook, it turns blue, and is called open space. Also, nobody can walk on it anymore.
Dip Stick! The newest candy! Just dip it, then lick it!
Or try FUBAR! The best chocolate bar ever!
And you can't eat them, either, sadly. Even though it'd make sieges so much more fun; dwarves lining the walls, drooling and carrying sharp knives and forks, ready for the upcoming meals.

MarineElite

• Bay Watcher
  • The End is Nigh
    • View Profile
Re: [40d] Channel + Brook = WTF!?!?!
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2009, 09:12:52 pm »

first off this isn't a bug
Channeling a brook basicly removes the top layer which is like a grate which dwarves can walk on and changes the above color to what the water color is because the grate tile which shows lighter blue is gone.
Also to those it may concern How to bybass Troubles with your IP on Byond

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2009, 10:07:01 pm »

To use more punctuation and detail:

Brooks are very shallow flows of water. Thus they can be walked over. The game simulates this by having a normal "deep" tile full of water with a "floor" above it that things can walk on. When you channel out the "floor", you simply reveal the water beneath it. However, that water is on a lower Z-level; there's nothing on the current Z-level. Hence, the game reports "open space" when you look at the tile.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2009, 02:03:08 am »

Or, in other words:  You're making the brook deeper at that point.  That's just what a deeper brook looks like; all water in Dwarf Fortress that is deeper than a brook shows as "open space" from its edge, because the water is actually one level below that.

Although really, I wonder if that should be changed.  It would be more intuitive if it showed as "water surface".
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2009, 04:01:59 pm »

I always interpreted it less as shallow water and more as deep water filled with rocks and junk.

Granted, the water volume is still smaller than a normal water tile given either interpretation.

Basically, the game doesn't currently have a good way to represent small streams you can walk through/over, so brooks are just tiny rivers with a floor above them.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Nicpon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2009, 05:52:38 pm »

Yeah, me too.

I think intuitive name would be "stepping stones" :)