Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Reluctant Military  (Read 994 times)

Sorcerer

• Bay Watcher
  • [magical]
    • View Profile
Reluctant Military
« on: April 25, 2009, 09:57:48 pm »

So I've been having a problem in my latest fort, where only one of my three squads actually want to fight.. the other two just run to my craftdwarfshops and hang out there despite being stationed out on the walls.

At first i thought the marksdwarves just needed more bolts, but there are over three hundred iron and steel bolts in the storage next to the barracks where they usually hang out. And the other squad is a sword squad

Has anyone had this problem before? should i report it as a bug?

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
Re: Reluctant Military
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2009, 10:10:47 pm »

Check their status on the military screen.  "m", "v", is the squad status.  Maybe off duty?
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Smew

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill you with my bear face.
    • View Profile
    • Deep Games for Deep Gamers
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2009, 10:11:24 pm »

Did they have a path to the top of the walls?
If dwarves are stationed somewhere where they can't get to(a tile with a tree, wall, etc.) they tend to go to the meeting area, but unless your craftsdwarf workshop is in your dining hall, I don't know. :x

Sorcerer

• Bay Watcher
  • [magical]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2009, 10:15:20 pm »

yep, they actually spar and stuff in the barracks until i put them to on-duty.. at which point they run off to the craftdwarf shop.. its really weird

Smew

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill you with my bear face.
    • View Profile
    • Deep Games for Deep Gamers
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2009, 10:36:17 pm »

Hm, try stationing them somewhere else.

Freki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2009, 10:56:50 pm »

I was having the same problem - they might have a patrol point set accidentally. Try pressing X from the squads/stationing menu and see if that helps.

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2009, 06:29:35 am »

I've had this problem when I merge groups together, or just people who had a patrol point set previously. It stays with them even in the new squad, resulting in you setting a patrol point(which by the way, does NOT show that anyone had any previous patrol areas) and only one guy actually goes to patrol that area while everyone else mills around somewhere else.

The only way I've found to fix this, is either to give no one patrol points before merging them into another group, or if you really had to at some point, you have to go through each of the individual in the squad, take them out of it and then check their patrol area, and delete it.

After that's all done, you can again make them part of a squad and the patrolling should work again. I wish I would have figured this out before that one incident with a siege, and only one guy going where he was supposed to.