Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Terrain Features: Giant Pits, Fissures  (Read 3083 times)

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
Re: Terrain Features: Giant Pits, Fissures
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2008, 06:25:51 pm »

Erupting volcanoes would be nice, but I don't know when Toady is going to be doing that. I can imagine it being a pain in the ass with the flow system.

I'd like to see some new features entirely, like geothermal steam vents and crystal caves.

Who knows? Volcanos could be in this release. Extensive surprise burns would be a wonderful test/display for the new wound system... I can see hair and skin being singed off.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2008, 08:24:02 pm »

I'd also like to see volcanic craters at the tops of mountains. Possibly filled with water. Crater Lake, anyone?

It would also be cool to embark on a volcano that had an active lava stream pouring out from the top. Probably though some crack in the side of the crater or something.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Retro42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2008, 08:43:34 pm »

I like that one.  Building the fort amid streams of molten magma.... very evil genius-like.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2008, 09:11:42 pm »

Those are good ideas for the underground diversity megathread: http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=22308.0

Ohh my goodness... You know what... why don't I make a thread called "Dwarf Fortress Diversity thread" that way I can go on EVERYONE'S suggestions and tell them to put it there :D

Whoa... I have no Idea where that came from... especially since you didn't say "You should have posted it in the underground diversity thread" like some people have done...

Anyhow yes I entirely agree MUCH Larger Bottomlist pit sections would be great as well as sections where bottomless pits and chasms are so numberous that you in fact have Islands of land in a sea of nothingness! (Plus whatever lives in those chasms)

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2008, 10:35:34 pm »

I'd like to see some sort of cave that alternates between being submerged and being dry depending on the tides. It'd require a rather an underground river that had a significant depth to allow the cave to be a cool feature rather than a cheesy little gimmick type thing. It'd be especially cool once we get non-combat skills in adventure mode. You could fortify the cave entrance, create a system for the areas that the water flows in so that you can use a lever to allow small amounts of water in, for the purposes of swimming training and water source. It'd be so swick.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2008, 05:03:59 am »

tapered ends

No more chasm fingers! It better happen

I hope cave rivers get widened a bit too. They have a nasty tendency to do this unsightly unrealistic zigzag and narrow up to 1 tile wide at some points for some reason
« Last Edit: December 10, 2008, 05:11:48 am by Pilsu »

varkarrus

• Bay Watcher
  • Insanity and a knife go well together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2009, 10:01:34 pm »

Due to complaints with my suggestions, I will bump this thread with new feature ideas.

Volcanic Wasteland: A large area that covers a couple tiles on the local embark menu. Mainly made up of flat magma with obsidian islands

Caldera: Only appears in areas of high volcanicness: Just a large, somewhat deep pit with igneous rock.

Hotspot: Rare, shallow pools of lava many z-levels down. Overtime, they bubble up. After many years, they may become magma pipes.

Natural Cliff cave: Appear on cliffs near ocean. May contain amphibious semimega beasts.

Monster pit: A mysterious glowing pit of ooze. Monsters come out of here. Only in evil areas.

Ancient shrine/ruins: Should I go on? They may/will be buried underground.

Glowing Orb: Another kind of HFS. Somewhere, many z-levels down is a glowing orb. It is just a 1*1 tile. However, gems will have a higher spawn rate as you get closer, so use that as a warmer/colder thing. If you dig it up, an evil spirit megabeast attacks your fortress, and will attempt to steal your glowing orb. If you successfully kill it, the orb will quadruple in value.

Ravine: High vegetation wedge in a cliff. May or may not have a river.

Hoodoo: Ravine with strange rock formations that are wider on the top then they are on the bottom.

Flowerpot Island: Tall, round islands.

Magma flow: Basically a river of magma.

Volcanic Shaft: Near volcanoes. Thin magma pipe that slants at an angle.

Great Tree: Huge, natural wooden tower. Dwarves can mine into it and build a fortress there.
Dip Stick! The newest candy! Just dip it, then lick it!
Or try FUBAR! The best chocolate bar ever!
And you can't eat them, either, sadly. Even though it'd make sieges so much more fun; dwarves lining the walls, drooling and carrying sharp knives and forks, ready for the upcoming meals.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2009, 11:25:48 pm »

It'd be nice to see rivers eventually gain vertical properties. Would add a nice effect, albeit a nice amount of lag, to see a river spawn on the side of the mountain and flow down it's side. I.E. an underground river, type river, on the surface. With waterfalls and such.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.
Pages: 1 [2]