Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Crops etc.  (Read 928 times)

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
Crops etc.
« on: July 06, 2008, 09:39:34 am »

Just a little thought passed me. What if crops, such as wheat etc were a measured item. Like liquids and all they have set levels, 1 through 7, and so could track growing instead of just suddenly popping into existance as a fully harvested item. So you could have levels wheat, 1 through 7, and it would take say a set time to reach 7 where it wouldn't grow any more and eventually rot if left unattended. So for example, a dwarf plants the crop. It starts growing, starting at 0 and progesses to level 1 at a set time. Where it is possible to harvest it, but you'd recieve hardly any yield. Or you could leave it to grow to level 7. I'd assume the maths would be fairly easy, level 7 has 7 times as much food as level 1. But this would require some sort of rejigging of the food system. But it does come with many benifits such as being able to harvest early but at a cost. It would obviously have to be different for other crops... like bushes etc, which wouldn't die off they'd just remain there while their fruits grow, again this could be measured with the level 1 to 7 in the same way, but would continue to grow even after harvested.

What do you think? Going anywhere with this idea?
« Last Edit: July 06, 2008, 09:41:27 am by Nilocy »

Leinad

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
Re: Crops etc.
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2008, 09:51:10 am »

I like the idea of improving the farming system, however instead of 7 levels of growth maybe only 5 would be better, 5 is the current maximum yeild from a crop (I think). Dwarven skill levels could come into it also, a legendary grower could always yeild a stack of 5 however a less skilled grower may cut the plant badly and receive much less yeild. A new option in the orders screen or at the farm plots saying when the crops should be cut down would help with this and an option for "harvest now" if there is a lack of food.

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2008, 05:23:28 pm »

I'm sorry, but a 1/5th grown plant isn't usable. Remember, every plant in the stack has to grow to maturity before it can be harvested. So letting one plant grow five times faster than the others isn't a solution.
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

Pacho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2008, 08:41:08 pm »

The maximum yield a single farmed tile can have is 11.  Toady clarified it not too long ago, but it takes a highly skilled farmer, fertilization, and a good bit of luck.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2008, 12:18:30 pm »

The maximum yield a single farmed tile can have is 11.  Toady clarified it not too long ago, but it takes a highly skilled farmer, fertilization, and a good bit of luck.

I'm imagining a giant prize pumpkin.

But remember, you can stuff 10 food into one barrel (according to wiki, I'd swear I've seen 15 food items in a barrel at some point). So you're actually just getting a slightly larger amount of food out of one tile than you could fit into a barrel in one tile. I'd say 11 items (that is, a barrel plus 10 contents) appears to be what you can fit within a tile normally.

Then again, we would have to assume a barrel is about the size of an entire tile.

When you drop water from a bucket or something you get 10 water items. Which makes sense because the bucket would also have been in that tile. But wait, the dwarf was also in the tile, wearing at least 10 clothing items.

Unless Star Trek has steered me wrong, that equals RIP IN SPACE-TIME
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2008, 02:02:46 pm »

And if you dump all those barrels you can fit more than 11 of them in a tile. :)