Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Packaging a mod?  (Read 611 times)

Tenth Speed Writer

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Procrastinator
    • View Profile
Packaging a mod?
« on: June 30, 2009, 08:53:13 pm »

Question to the forum:
Is there any way to package a collection of modded weapons and items that doesn't involve other users having to either overwrite previously modded raws or hand-insert the item data and corresponding entity tags.

I'm working on a general content mod at the moment. Most of what I hope to add are items that aren't necessarily out of balance, but give the player a few more options to spice up overall gameplay. Examples would be a chain-swinging trap component to do several bouts of gore damage to lighter opponents (like using whips or scourges in weapon traps), and weaker pieces of outer armor (made from, say, wood and bone) to take the place of plate mail when a fortress just can't spare the metal resources.
I expect that the finished product would be scattered all across the board as far as the item files modified, and I want to make installation as painless as I possibly can.

I suppose if I came up with a truly epic item mod, then I could throw together a cheap one-shot script in Perl. It wouldn't be too hard to append each of the item files and either let the user add the entity portion to their civilization of choice, or work some regex magic and stick the needed tags under the dwarf header.

Still, that might be a bit much if there's a more reasonable way.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2009, 06:47:56 am by Tenth Speed Writer »
Quote from: Pickled Tink
I don't believe in a standing army. I believe in cruel and unusual architecture.

Smew

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill you with my bear face.
    • View Profile
    • Deep Games for Deep Gamers
Re: Packaging a mod?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2009, 08:10:03 pm »

You can put raws in their own new file, which I really wish more modders would do, it would make it easier to integrate multiple mods into one game.
There's info for how to do this on the wiki, and I don't remember the exact details. haha
And I may not even be understanding what you're asking, if that's the case, sorry.

Tenth Speed Writer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2009, 11:03:54 pm »

You can put raws in their own new file, which I really wish more modders would do, it would make it easier to integrate multiple mods into one game.
There's info for how to do this on the wiki, and I don't remember the exact details. haha
And I may not even be understanding what you're asking, if that's the case, sorry.

That's it, exactly. : )

I took a glance at the wiki, but I must have missed it. I'll go dig through it when I'm ready to package it all up. The tags and custom raws I have ready are set together within the default .txts for now, at any rate.
I don't believe in a standing army. I believe in cruel and unusual architecture.

Smew

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill you with my bear face.
    • View Profile
    • Deep Games for Deep Gamers
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2009, 12:20:35 am »

Found it for ya. :)

You can either add a new creature to the bottom of an existing creature_thing.txt file or make your own file; just be sure to add the name of the file (without the txt) to the top of it. For example, I tend to use a 'creature_newbies.txt' file myself.

From: http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Modding_guide

Tenth Speed Writer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2009, 02:06:28 am »

Ah, thank you!

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2009, 09:44:41 am »

It's also a good idea to make sure that your names are unique, especially with common names/ideas. I found that out with the orc mod's dire wolves. A good idea, I think, is to use a standard prefix (so [ORC_MOD_WOLF_DIRE] rather than just [WOLF_DIRE]). They might get twice as many of them, but it won't cause errors.
Lanternwebs: a community fort
Try my orc mod!
The OP deserves the violent Dwarven equivalent of the Nobel Peace Prize.

Tenth Speed Writer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2009, 02:04:05 pm »

It's also a good idea to make sure that your names are unique, especially with common names/ideas. I found that out with the orc mod's dire wolves. A good idea, I think, is to use a standard prefix (so [ORC_MOD_WOLF_DIRE] rather than just [WOLF_DIRE]). They might get twice as many of them, but it won't cause errors.

YOU!
I've actually been hoping to speak with you.

There's another thread on this forum about the mod that I'm working on.

Can I get your permission to package the Orc mod along with it? The only modifications I've made are a few entity tags to allow them as a civ to use some of the new content.