Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [40d] Game crashes at a specific time  (Read 1536 times)

SirPenguin

• Bay Watcher
  • NEVER A DULL MOMENT IN MID-WORLD
    • View Profile
[40d] Game crashes at a specific time
« on: April 26, 2009, 01:55:47 pm »

Namely, the 17th of Limestone.

A few things:

-It's right after my seasonal save. Luckily the crash happens only 17 "days" after the save so it's easy to reproduce

-Crash happens no matter what my dwarves are doing. It happens with 0 idlers, also happens with 6 idlers (one guy is on bedrest). Every time it happens at the 17th of Limestone.

-It's a new fort - this is my first Autumn

-It doesn't freeze. It just crashes. No errors. Nothing in the error log. Windows doesn't tell me anything went wrong. It just dies.

-Around the 17th Dwarves start going to bed and such...could be related?

-Happens without ANY input from me. I just sit there..and it crashes.

It's annoying as hell...I was having so much fun with this fortress already..ah well. Hopefully you can figure it out and no one else will have to suffer!

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=P6MYZ8QY

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
Re: [40d] Game crashes at a specific time
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2009, 01:57:45 pm »

It's probably something to do with the arrival of a caravan.  Especially if it's right after a season change.

SirPenguin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2009, 02:08:19 pm »

Perhaps. I was thinking that, or even migrants.

But Limestone is the first month of Autumn, and I don't think I usually get the caravans then. Usually it's mid to late Autumn.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2009, 03:28:49 pm »

Check your save file, and compare it against previous autosaves.  Do the autosaves have a LOT less files than the current one?

If so, try copying the extra files from the old autosave into the current save.  Don't replace anything.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2009, 03:35:10 pm »

Check your save file, and compare it against previous autosaves.  Do the autosaves have a LOT less files than the current one?

If so, try copying the extra files from the old autosave into the current save.  Don't replace anything.

If he tries this he should copy (copy, not move) the the files from both saves into a third (new) save folder, so that the original buggy save will still be available later in case this isn't a nemesis-unit-load type bug.

SirPenguin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2009, 03:46:34 pm »

Well, I started a new fortress, and it crashed at basically the same place.

I was also a different Dwarf Civilization, just in case the one I chose was fucking up somehow.

It crashed again.

oi.

Edit:

Alright, checked it out. Yet again it crashed at the 17th of Limestone. A very scary date indeed!

I'm having a hard time believing it's a migrant or trader issue...two seperate sites succumbed to this Majora's Mask-esque bug. Would the traders/migrants really arrive the exact same day both times?

Further, I don't know what you mean about the previous autosaves. I don't autobackup (though I guess now I will!), so the seasonal autosaves simply overwrite each other. Am I missing anything?
« Last Edit: April 26, 2009, 03:55:34 pm by SirPenguin »

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2009, 04:00:05 pm »

Well this is interesting.  Do you still get a crash on the 17th if you generate a new world and embark there?

You aren't missing anything (I think).  Yes, you would have needed autosave + autobackup for what Sowelu brought up.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2009, 04:00:21 pm »

Is your game modified *at all*?
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

SirPenguin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2009, 04:52:45 pm »

No, my game is not modified in any way.

Footkerchief: I'm about to gen a new world and try it out. This world I'm on now is NOT my first world, however, as I had been genning a lot of worlds with volcanoes in an attempt to get that "perfect site" with a magma vent, river, etc. We'll see what this next world does.

SirPenguin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2009, 05:04:47 pm »

Alright, genned another world, made a fort in this second world...and it crashed during the 17th of Limestone!

Crazy!

I have never touched any raw file...I've never done any sort of modifications. This is vanilla 40d11 and has worked with plenty of forts before.

I'm going to reinstall and test it...but man...this is getting weird. I'm telling you..this is some Majora's Mask curse

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2009, 05:10:29 pm »

Next thing to try, I guess, is obtain a fresh copy of 40d11 and see if worlds generated by that version still crash.

e: oh that's what you just said you were going to do

SirPenguin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2009, 02:15:13 pm »

Reinstalling worked, as to be expected.

Still going to investigate this some more.

edit: I copied over the fresh install's raw and sdl folders over to my old install after deleting them. I figured "Fresh" raws and such could perhaps solve the problem.

It didn't. Still crashes at the 17th of Limestone! This seems to point at a corrupted save, despite the fact the problem persists over two worlds...

With a heavy heart I'm going to delete my save folders and let the game rebuild them...see if that fixes anything...
« Last Edit: April 27, 2009, 02:18:31 pm by SirPenguin »

SirPenguin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2009, 02:23:25 pm »

Hah! I fixed it! All while saving my...well...save.

I copied over every in the data folder from Fresh Install -> Old Install except for the save and init subfolders. I then booted it up...and you know what happened at the 17th?

Caravan!

I'm thinking the caravan announcement (in the announcement folder) was somehow corrupted. But all I know is that my game progresses past the 17th now.

Phew.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2009, 02:45:14 pm »

I'm thinking the caravan announcement (in the announcement folder) was somehow corrupted. But all I know is that my game progresses past the 17th now.

That's not a bad guess.  I didn't know the caravan was hardcoded to arrive on the 17th, though.  Interesting.  I doubt we'll ever see anyone with this problem again, but thanks for keeping us updated.