Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Making forever alive fortress  (Read 2088 times)

Zengief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Making forever alive fortress
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2006, 06:42:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by thvaz:
<STRONG>It would be nice if you could just abandon your fortress and let it running by itself at some point.

And I would like very much if you canīt find every kind of precious or useful metal ever discovered by the dwarves at one fortress. You should have a few kind of ores, and should had to trade for the others. This would give a greater importance in trading - as it is, trading is only useful at the beggining of the fortress.</STRONG>

I agree.  The rock should also be less varied.  A granite mountain will be composed almost entirely of granite.  It would be nice for the site selection screen to give you a brief "survey of the rock types to be expected.

DimmurWyrd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2006, 06:21:00 am »

Some interesting ideas here but I think most of them are better suited to options rather than hard-coding.

Many people have scoffed at being able to use points to buy better conditions or get points for worse ones etc... but right now there's a psuedo-system already there (except it's free and semi-random) in the site selection where you can choose your biome and wood availability... There is nothing different from choosing a woodland area instead of a sparse than there is choosing a known metal rich mountain site than a metal poor one.

I think that the ability to tweak starting conditions with a point based system would be a great idea and those who don't want to can go with the defaults that are exactly like what's already there but someone who wants to fiddle can. For example I can choose 2 notches of "increased cave river spawns" to get some points for "pre-scouted ore deposits west of river." or maybe just "2 notches more base metals" or something similar... You have to take a negative aspect to get a positive one for masochists you can select nasty stuff without balancing with good hehe. I could make a list a mile long on both good and bad things that could be added here hehe.

Mainly I'm just saying this isn't something your dwarves are doing it's just a way to customize the gaming experience. BTW the points would be totally seperate from the prepare carefully points since that IS the dwarves doing the other is just tweaking fate a bit for them by the godlike being that controls their destiny (namely you the player) hehe.

Stromko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2006, 09:44:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Wahnsinniger:
<STRONG>But since the fortress gameplay needs to end eventually the final goal should be to gain all the important nobles so that your fortress turns in the the capital of your own kingdom (or a whole new dwarf "civilization", in this case), where you can start your own satallite fortresses and import resources from them. At this point, you could leave your kingdom, and it would become an fully interactable dwarf civilization just like any other already on the game map. (This is essentially what all those duchy/county/kingdom plans are on the development page)
[ October 15, 2006: Message edited by: Wahnsinniger ]</STRONG>

Absolutely. I can't wait.

Pages: 1 [2]