Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New professions  (Read 726 times)

w

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.whitehouse.gov/president/
New professions
« on: October 14, 2006, 09:20:00 am »

Any job/skill that allows the dwarf to gain experience should have some profession name associated with it.

I'm not sure if I'm using the terms "job", "skill", and "profession" correctly, so here's an example of what I mean:

In recent starting builds, I've taken to the following base plan:

• Proficient Miner
  • Proficient Miner
  • Proficient Grower
  • Proficient Stone Crafter
  • Peasant
  • Peasant
  • Peasant

Each of the three peasants is, upon arrival at the cliff, immediately assigned a primary duty: one carpentry, one masonry, and one woodcutting.

When the carpentry peasant gains enough experience to become a novice carpenter, the game announces that he "has become a carpenter", and he's thereafter listed as a carpenter.

Similarly, the masonry peasant eventually "becomes a mason".

But the woodcutter peasant just remains a "peasant" forever.  Even though woodcutting is a job that gains experience.

He should "become a lumberjack".  Or "a woodcutter".

Or even, if it's an easier fix, "a carpenter".  Not that he has carpentry skill - just that his profession title is "carpenter".

The latter suggestion actually happens today in at least some cases - for example, people with whose highest skill is "stone detailing" are listed as "masons" - even if they have absolutely no masonry skill.

Carlos Gustavos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: New professions
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2006, 05:08:00 am »

You could give him a custom named profession. This way I have weavers, cooks, furnace operators, glass maker, haulers and so on.

Rondol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2006, 12:47:00 pm »

This can take a lot of time and effort, however, especially when you're trying to name professions for 40-some dwarves becuase a) you forgot to do it earlier or b) they all showed up intent on eating all your food.
lay IVAN -- Fear Dwarves!

Seryntas

• Bay Watcher
  • has created a masterpiece!
    • View Profile
    • RPGWW Forums
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2006, 01:59:00 pm »

Personally, I change the profession of all my woodcutters to "Okay Lumberjack".

If you don't get the reference, I hate you.

"Nectar and ambrosia are all the gods are allowed to eat in Greek mythology. In that way they're kind of like pandas. You know, in diet. From there the similarities break down." -my Greek Lit TA

GauHelldragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2006, 09:48:00 am »

are you really going to need 40 woodcutters though?

w

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.whitehouse.gov/president/
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2006, 10:05:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by GauHelldragon:
<STRONG>are you really going to need 40 woodcutters though?</STRONG>

My dwarves hate hate hate elves.

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2006, 12:42:00 am »

Why not just have an external file where players can define their own job title for each skill?  Automatic job titles are really nice for keeping track of certain things, after all.
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One