Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Project: Textures  (Read 765 times)

Random832

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Project: Textures
« on: April 24, 2009, 11:45:50 am »

Exactly what it says on the tin - a project for anyone to participate in to create a repository of textures for use in 3D viewers to represent stone walls etc. Seems simple enough - get a good photo of the surface of the stone, make it tileable.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
Re: Project: Textures
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2009, 12:04:33 pm »

There are large repositories of free textures available online (I believe Mithaldu made use of these for Lifevis) -- just google for them.  Do DF viewers need something those sites can't provide?

Also, textures taken directly from photos are generally extremely hard on the eyes, with lots of extraneous detail (noise, basically).

Ursca

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2009, 12:14:18 pm »

For legibility, I think well done painted/pixel art textures would be far better.
Photos are great for realism, but that's not what you need in a 3d viewer.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2009, 01:02:15 pm »

cgtextures.com
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Impaler[WrG]

• Bay Watcher
  • Khazad Project Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2009, 01:30:43 pm »

I'm hoping this thread is atleast in part a response to by plea for art for Khazad, naturally I aprove. 

Agreed photos are hard on the eye, the textures I yoinked from 3Dwarf & Lifevis are 256x256 but that's really far too large, I really want ones that are 64x64 at most and possibly smaller.  I've already noticed that when zoomed out all kinds of streaks and lines manifest themselves due to the way textures get sampled, I think I'm going to need to randomize things a bit to keep that effect away.

I was heavily inspired by SimCity 200, X-Com and Railroad Tycoon and want Khazad to have that somewhat pixelated look, I'm also hoping that a thin black border in each texture will help make the map grid more apparent but I'm also considering how this could be done programmatically so as to make it toggle for those that don't like the lines.
Khazad the Isometric Fortress Engine
Extract forts from DF, load and save them to file and view them in full 3D

Khazad Home Thread
Khazad v0.0.5 Download

Ursca

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2009, 01:49:29 pm »

Well, here's a grass tile I whipped up. Not sure how it scales, but the tiling seems reasonable.