Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Met my old fortress inhabitants...  (Read 1350 times)

Iapetus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Met my old fortress inhabitants...
« on: April 19, 2009, 01:36:05 pm »

I got bored/frustrated with one of my recent fortresses, so I abandoned it and started playing Adventure Mode a few times.

In one game, I say some strange moving lines on the travel map and went to investigate them, and discovered that it was the inhabitants of my abandoned fortress, migrating en-mass to (somewhere).

However, shortly after my adventurer found them, their pet war animals started attacking them.

Given that I had been playing using slightly modified versions of the dinosaurs from the Civilization Forge mod, this got very bloody very quickly, as a War Apatosaurus, a War Ankylosaurus, and two Apatosaurus hatchlings went on the rampage.  (I think the least successful dinosaur managed to get seven kills before being taken down, and the dead included at least one elite soldier).

So my question is: why did their animals turn on them?

Also, slightly related, what boneses do berserk dwarves get?  Because earlier in my fort, a moody dwarf went berserk, so I locked him in his workshop, dug a pit over the top of it, and dropped a war apatosaurus in, expecting it to finish him off, but instead he slaughtered it without taking any injuries.  (He was unarmed, had no military training, and his only attribute bonus was "Agile").
Engraved on the floor is a well-designed image of a kobold and a carp.  The kobold is making a plaintive gesture.  The carp is laughing.

Glacies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Met my old fortress inhabitants...
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2009, 06:00:25 am »

Your military dwarves will sometimes join you, and I think they keep all the equiptment they have in fortress mode when you abandon. Including the artifact gear.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2009, 02:44:30 pm »

The animal-on-dwarf action sounds like a bug.  Do the dinosaurs in that mod come from the underground, or do they inhabit normal aboveground biomes?

Iapetus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2009, 05:07:02 pm »

Normal above-ground biomes.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Engraved on the floor is a well-designed image of a kobold and a carp.  The kobold is making a plaintive gesture.  The carp is laughing.

TheDJ17

• Bay Watcher
  • [SWAG]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2009, 02:57:12 pm »

This is why I'm turned off from mods at the moment,

Exept tile sets.
The spinning =<*Free Form Jazz*>= strikes the Poster in all the senses, ya' dig, utterly blowing the mind!
The Status Quo has been struck down!

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2009, 03:09:47 pm »

That is unusual.  In my experience the war animals don't follow abandoned fortress migrants, every time I've done it all the animals died instantly on abandon.  Including modified animals of my own creation.

Perhaps they somehow got tagged as wildlife once the abandon happened.

P.S. I did have [LARGE_PREDATOR] animals show up while I was looking through one such exodus once though.  I assumed the migrants just happened to be on top of them when I visited, but the fortress did include a couple of that animal, so maybe this happened, and I just didn't realize it.  As to why it happened, I have no clue.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2009, 03:16:22 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!