Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Population cap not stopping migration  (Read 1083 times)

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Population cap not stopping migration
« on: April 12, 2010, 12:30:40 am »

I have set my pop cap low on purpose because with all the bugs I dont want a huge fort...yet I still get migrants...how do you stop them? they always exceed my population cap. I get migration groups AFTER the population cap is already exceeded...any way to stop this?

tompliss

• Bay Watcher
  • Goodbye ?
    • View Profile
Re: Population cap not stopping migration
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2010, 03:42:29 am »

as in previous versions, it seems to be useless at low population (but as for me, it worked near 30 dwarves)...
Also, migration waves arrive at your fortress some time after leaving their home, and the popcap must be applied before they leave their home (same for the sieges) ...

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2010, 09:22:56 am »

Which home? AFAIK they are generated on the fly, with no mystical "home".
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Slackratchet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2010, 09:36:42 am »

From my understanding population cap is meaningless until after the first Caravan.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2010, 12:15:44 pm »

Yeah I did world gen with the low pop cap and everything so I don't think its the theory of them coming from home before it is set.

As for the first caravan that doesn't seem right either...because I got my second wave of immigrants (the group that came despite the cap already being one over max) AFTER I got a caravan there...granted I did not have a trade depot at the time.

I just don't want to have to deal with the military on any major scale right now...I am still trying to figure the other features out and all and I dont want to deal with that horrifically bug ridden situation at this moment...granted I could turn sieges off....but if I do that can I turn them on again later? (I assume so)

Zaranthan

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet Smelter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2010, 12:32:12 pm »

I just don't want to have to deal with the military on any major scale right now...I am still trying to figure the other features out and all and I dont want to deal with that horrifically bug ridden situation at this moment...granted I could turn sieges off....but if I do that can I turn them on again later? (I assume so)
You certainly can.
Quote from: Howard, Nerf This, by Scott D. Ferguson
Villains sleep with hookers, heroes sleep with destiny.

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2010, 12:37:36 pm »

Do keep in mind that while goblins will leave you alone, gorillas and giant cave spiders won't.  There's a lot of animals both above and below ground that will happily massacre a fortress without a means to defend itself.

And yes, I don't recall there being any part of the init file that cared about save files in any way.  I believe anything can be changed at any time.  You'll just have to re-start DF for them to take effect.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2010, 01:47:20 pm »

Do keep in mind that while goblins will leave you alone, gorillas and giant cave spiders won't.  There's a lot of animals both above and below ground that will happily massacre a fortress without a means to defend itself.

And yes, I don't recall there being any part of the init file that cared about save files in any way.  I believe anything can be changed at any time.  You'll just have to re-start DF for them to take effect.

I am aware of the brutal animals that abound lol...luckily I haven't run into to many nasty things in that respect...I just cant wait for the military and health system to be a tad more refined