Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New race, can no longer play DF  (Read 1485 times)

Kay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
New race, can no longer play DF
« on: April 18, 2009, 01:12:12 am »

I modded in a new CIV_CONTROLLABLE race, and changed dwarves to INDIV_CONTROLLABLE.

The game never stops rejecting worlds, complaining about a lack of dwarves. If I tell it to ignore that kind of rejection, I get a world I cannot play fortress mode in.

Now, obviously the issue here is I DON'T CARE ABOUT THE GORRAM DWARVES. I'M NOT PLAYING THEM.

I've changed starting biomes and everything, is there now way to fix this anymore?

Smew

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill you with my bear face.
    • View Profile
    • Deep Games for Deep Gamers
Re: New race, can no longer play DF
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2009, 01:24:33 am »

1: Are you sure your new race is spawning?
2: if yes, change the dwarves to civ controllable then after world gen change them back to indiv.
3: If no, make sure they be spawning, if they are and it's still happening, go go option 2!
4: There's also a parameter option "Playable Civilization Required", try setting that to no(it's on the last page of parameters I think.)
5: FUCK YEAH, FIREFLY!

Kay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2009, 01:34:09 am »

2: if yes, change the dwarves to civ controllable then after world gen change them back to indiv.

I used to be certain, but now I don't know. I did these steps and Dwarf Fortress crashed when I went into fortress mode. I've never had this problem before, usually I can just mod in a race with the exact same parameters as Dwarves and it still doesn't complain about lack of dwarf civs.

Smew

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2009, 01:35:28 am »

I used to be certain, but now I don't know. I did these steps and Dwarf Fortress crashed when I went into fortress mode. I've never had this problem before, usually I can just mod in a race with the exact same parameters as Dwarves and it still doesn't complain about lack of dwarf civs.
Check your error log, see if it has any crazy problems.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2009, 01:41:35 am »

Whats the Entity and Creature file of your new race?

And yea, the Errorlog is your loving... and hateful friend.  Use it.  (Its generated like the Gamelog and map rejection log when you get into map creation mode)
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Kay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2009, 01:45:47 am »

Well, I solved one of the error problems, and that was that I had foolishly left the entity types of the modrace and the dwarves the same, causing the "Duplicate Object: entity MOUNTAIN" Error. The other error I have is "Error Initializing Text: data/speech/english.txt" which is DF complaining that it doesn't understand how to read the english language file. Not sure where the issue is (I've been aware of it for a while, but its never crashed a game in the past, so I'm just working until I fix it...)

DF still doesn't load beyond repeat rejections though. It may be something with the latest trial build (d11) that's causing this.

Edit: Indeed, that is now the only error, and I know it doesn't cause crashes. But it still will not progress beyond rejecting hundreds of worlds and never stopping.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2009, 01:55:15 am by Kay »

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2009, 02:41:27 am »

What is your map_rejection_log saying?

Have you checked that?  Should give the reason...   maybe you set your parameters too high/weird for world gen?
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Smew

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2009, 03:39:32 am »

I would suggest downloading a fresh, unmodded version of 40d, put in the creature and entity files for your new civ, and check it out there.

Blakmane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2009, 09:24:16 am »

sounds like your race has something wrong with them that is causing them not to spawn, thus infinite rejects. Have you tried having dwarves as civ controllable again? Does it make any difference? Have you changed anything about dwarves?

What exactly is wrong could be due to a number of issues. Post your entity raws and creature raws and we'll have a better chance of figuring it out. Could be as simple as not giving your new race lungs, or any biome tokens etc.

D11 only has performance changes. It should never effect raws.

commondragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2009, 10:16:09 am »

Did you set them to start spawning on glaciers?  Civs will not spawn on glaciers.
WheEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2009, 11:52:35 am »

Yes they will, it's just that some will melt, killing the civ.

New language files go in the Raws, not data/speech.  As far as I can tell, vanilla DF has no english.txt.

Code: [Select]
who was too short to live
who played with [PRO_POS] mini-forge long into adulthood
whose beard was sparse and patchy
who tunneled away from me like a frightened mole
who sucked plump helmets like a purring maggot
who futilely attacked my legs
whose hammer shattered on the anvil of my majesty
who forged [PRO_POS] own doom by challenging me
whose beard I wove into a funeral shroud
who was returned to the rock and muck from which it was spawned
whose tall tales of bravery were all the more embarrassing because of [PRO_POS] height

That's what the dwarf speech file is.  Speech is largely hard-coded stuff, but things like gloat lines can be modded in, I think.  I've fiddled with it before, but it proved tricky.  Also, language spoken by a race is in the entity file, not the creature file.  The creature file just determines what is displayed to the player when talking to that creature.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2009, 12:01:52 pm by LegoLord »
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Kay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2009, 05:48:25 pm »

Oh my... I'm a little embarased now.

Turns out I forgot to capitalise the creature name in the CREATURE_STANDARD file, and just never noticed it.

Problem solved, people. :)

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2009, 06:00:15 pm »

I have done worse, one time I lost an entire new raw file because I had put [OBJECT_CREATURE] at the very top and not [OBJECT:CREATURE]. It took me almost a week to figure out what was going wrong.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Rochndil

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2009, 06:23:50 pm »

It's the little things that get you. I just discovered that I'd been playing a week and more with two of my plant mod files NOT working...because I had the first-line filename and the actual filename spelled differently. Whoops!

Rochndil, who still gets bitten by that mistake...
Build an Elf a fire, keep him warm for a day.
Drown an Elf in magma, keep him warm for the rest of his life!

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2009, 07:43:50 pm »

Don't worry.  I once broke my save when upgrading to a new version of DF.  It kept saying "MISSING BODY DEFINITION:  5HEAD_HORN" (a part for a custom megabeast), and I kept misreading it "SHED_HORN."  These things happen.

I might be able to be i2amroy, too.  For about a week, I was trying to generate worlds, leaving the process overnight, and being unsuccessful.  In the end, it was because my new civs had the same entry names as goblins and humans.  Something I had done intentionally.  100%, intentionally.  I felt so stupid.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember