Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ah-Oh... Help Someone?  (Read 628 times)

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
  • Profession: Handsome Rogue
    • View Profile
Ah-Oh... Help Someone?
« on: April 21, 2009, 07:38:35 pm »

After extensively modding the game I no longer get Dwarven Civs springing up/that are playable in adventure mode and when I embark I get a bunch of elves? Goblins, Gremlins and Kobolds have become playable but I haven't modified the entity files at all... I'm guessing this has something to do with the way they're ordered in the creature RAWS? Anything I should know about? Can anyone help?
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
Re: Ah-Oh... Help Someone?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2009, 09:10:11 pm »

This sounds like the duplicate object bug to me. If the raw parser detects 2 things with the same internal ID it goes haywire.

Does anything have the same header as another entry?  Like 2 creatures with [CREATURE:DRAGON] or something similar?

Also if you moved entries into another txt file, you may have to delete the contents of the data/objects folder so DF recreates it all from scratch. 

Sometimes moved raw entries don't get moved properly when DF converts them into those files which can create what I usually refer to as ghost raws.  Ghost raws are basically the contents of the data/objects folder not updating correctly due to entries being moved or files being renamed, Which DF can't always detect. Those can often be a complete copy of another raw file which causes the duplicate object bug as well.

If neither of those help I'm afraid I cannot help you.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2009, 09:11:51 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2009, 08:20:35 am »

THis does sound like a duplicate object bug, I remember when I had one and the same thing happened to me, except that I generally embarked as purring maggots.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Rochndil

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2009, 08:37:34 am »

As always, errolog.txt is your friend here. It will tell you exactly what to look for. Find the duplicates and either change or delete one of them, then follow clean re-gen protocol (delete gamelog.txt, errorlog.txt, everything in /data/objects and /data/save, then generate). If you still get errors, take another look at errorlog.txt, you probably missed something.

Rochndil, who has been down that road a number of times...
Build an Elf a fire, keep him warm for a day.
Drown an Elf in magma, keep him warm for the rest of his life!

Blakmane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2009, 09:12:40 am »

you may also have to clean out your data/objects folder.

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
  • Profession: Handsome Rogue
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2009, 12:44:41 am »

Thanks guys, it was duplicate creatures  :).

Two fish were the culprits. No doubt a clever new attack by our carp nemeses.
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.