Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: World Gen Issues  (Read 510 times)

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
World Gen Issues
« on: April 18, 2009, 10:11:35 pm »

So there's a bunch of really awesome generated worlds on the forums along with the scripts to make them.

Since my last fortress went under thanks to the assistance of an early Orc raid, i'm looking for a new spot.

But for some odd reason, the stone layers are never the same when i generate a world; all the features are in teh right spot, but the stone layers are always different, and invariably there's no flux!

Halp.

Eviltyphoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: World Gen Issues
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2009, 02:48:11 am »

Did you modify yourraws in any way? Cause modifying them changes the worldgen process
"If you can't build a tower upon a sheer cliff face over which you may throw precisely one hundred and fifty-two kittens and seven stalwart dwarves to their explosive doom some fifty stories below, then brother, your game ain't much of a sandbox, is it?"

Michaelsoftman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2009, 02:51:06 am »

So there's a bunch of really awesome generated worlds on the forums along with the scripts to make them.

Since my last fortress went under thanks to the assistance of an early Orc raid, i'm looking for a new spot.

But for some odd reason, the stone layers are never the same when i generate a world; all the features are in teh right spot, but the stone layers are always different, and invariably there's no flux!

Halp.

Do you mean that you're embarking on the same exact site over and over?

Or just none of your worlds have flux stone?

Zeg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2009, 05:43:04 am »

As far as I can tell, differing results from world gens by seeds is a semi-known bug. Stone layers being different and different good/evil biomes seem to be common results. Also it doesn't seem to be caused by modding; I have myself had a world I was trying to regen from a seed turn up with different good/evil layout on a perfectly vanilla DF.

On a semi-related note, I've also noticed a kinda wierd 'bug' (although it can't really be considered a bug as such, since it involved end tasking the DF process) with the position of features. If I gen a world, then go and start a fort and end task after embark, when I go to look at the world again all the underground features have strangely moved positions. However, if I repeat the process, it never seems to happen again on the same world. I'm not sure it happens 100% of the time, but I have definatly seen it happen more than once when I was making alot of worlds to find a very specific site.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2009, 06:59:23 am »

It looks like different versions results in different stone strata; you get exactly the same features in exactly the same locations, but the stones themselves are different (it might be Limestone in one world and Obsidian in another)

Genning the worlds that don't work in 40d11 in 40d10 instead, generates them correctly.

Interesting, i guess the random generation stuff changed slightly from version to version.