Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Do goblin arenas work?  (Read 2205 times)

IceShade

• Bay Watcher
  • YOUR HEAD ENGSMSPLODE
    • View Profile
Re: Do goblin arenas work?
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2009, 10:37:46 am »

I think Dragons have the [NoFear] tag so they'll just run into battle.

Thanks..

Anything with No Fear runs directly into battle I belive. Thus, mod Goblins to have No Fear.

.. and thanks.

I've added the [NOFEAR] tag to goblins. I'll try the results soon.

IceShade

• Bay Watcher
  • YOUR HEAD ENGSMSPLODE
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2009, 07:48:17 am »

I've added the tag to the goblins, and this is the updated creature_standard file

You can clearly see the tag in there.

Now, I tried the results.. 17 second movie here: http://mkv25.net/dfma/movie-1287-no_feartagtest

.. and it didn't really change anything. Do I need to create a whole new world/fortress for this to take effect? Or does it not work on existing goblins (thus having to wait for new captured goblin troops)?

Edit: Oh, crapsicles. I guess I need to gen a new world for that. Well, screw that then.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2009, 08:54:07 am by IceShade »

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2009, 11:36:05 am »

I have used gobbo arenas in the past but I never had much success with them fighting animals, almost always members of my fortress who took some wound or another that prevents sparring.  Lets them continue to gain skill.  Though having enough cage traps for them to keep up with the military that can spar, kinda kills your need for a military in the first place.

The animals were really hit and miss.  Creating a tunnel that leads directly to the outside seems to help somewhat, as both creatures will try to make for that tunnel and they'll sometimes attack each other if they happen to block each others way.  Larger animals seem to be more aggressive, as well as creatures with the [LARGE_PREDATOR] tag, though they don't seem to guarantee it either.

Might try chasm or river creatures vs gobbos, as I hear those have a funky IFF.  It might be enough to cause them to be instantly hostile to the goblins no matter what.  But it is just a theory.

Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2009, 02:56:18 pm »

Captain Duck only had like 8 dogs against 6 goblins I thought.

-

You don't need to regen to change some of the tags. I've modded away the arms of a siege just to see what would happen.

-

Maybe you should add some ramps to the river so that the goblins will have to run through the river creatures to get out n_n
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

IceShade

• Bay Watcher
  • YOUR HEAD ENGSMSPLODE
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2009, 03:39:33 pm »

Captain Duck only had like 8 dogs against 6 goblins I thought.

-

You don't need to regen to change some of the tags. I've modded away the arms of a siege just to see what would happen.

-

Maybe you should add some ramps to the river so that the goblins will have to run through the river creatures to get out n_n

Well, the wiki mentioned regenning a world when you've made changes.. but I guess that's simply to make sure it always works. Anyway, I added the tag as you can see in the text I posted. I then created a video and uploaded that as well. I released the gobbos from their cages and they fled.

So my new questions would be... any idea whether NOFEAR requires a regen? Or do I simply need to get rid of the old gobbos and capture "fresh" ones? Or will cages never work, regardless of "NOFEAR"?

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2009, 07:50:20 pm »

It may be part of the "RUN AWAY" code.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Guy Montag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2009, 07:59:22 pm »

I think you guys are just making your arenas too epic and large. Huge arenas will SOMEDAY result in gobbos killing that inbred noble or inbred puppies (seriously you embark with two dogs, and end up with 100+ of them before you know it) its all just a matter of time and random chance that they bump into each other and fight. This random chance can be made less random by making it less of an epic arena and more of a drunk-ank sized jail cell.

I knew "smaller is better" when I designated the entire sealed "coast" of my magma pipe as a pit, and it took two whole FPS taxing seasons for that gobbo spearman to catch and kill my noble. It didn't help that the goblin spent at least 1/3rd of the season twisting his spear in my noble's leg, but still.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2009, 10:35:12 am »

you need to regen when you change total entities (like removing goblins or creating viking_ghosts,) change BIOME tags (as in giant cave spiders won't suddenly roam the plains,)  or actually delete any of those text files.

As for "fresh" goblins that's not needed for flat out having the nofear tag- that kind of thing is there as soon as you load the game up after you've changes the raws.
But, these goblins are in squads and that may mean that the squad's initial decision to flee the map might have stuck around- I know that at least before the boundary of modding they never decide to quit fleeing the map so that could be it.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

IceShade

• Bay Watcher
  • YOUR HEAD ENGSMSPLODE
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2009, 10:43:56 am »

you need to regen when you change total entities (like removing goblins or creating viking_ghosts,) change BIOME tags (as in giant cave spiders won't suddenly roam the plains,)  or actually delete any of those text files.

As for "fresh" goblins that's not needed for flat out having the nofear tag- that kind of thing is there as soon as you load the game up after you've changes the raws.
But, these goblins are in squads and that may mean that the squad's initial decision to flee the map might have stuck around- I know that at least before the boundary of modding they never decide to quit fleeing the map so that could be it.

That's my theory as well. They're still in "flee mode"; still following the squad leader's order to flee.

I was hoping that NOFEAR would fix it, but it apparently doesn't.
Pages: 1 [2]