Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Custom Engravings  (Read 1416 times)

RavingManiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Custom Engravings
« on: April 18, 2009, 05:52:24 am »

It would be quite nice to be able to place custom engravings, where you enter your own text. That way, you could leave messages for visiting adventurers, record the history of your fortress, or engrave tombstones:

Urist McNoble

208 - 209

Demanded clear glass goblets
He will be missed

They could be designated the same way as custom stockpiles, and have the time required to engrave them be proportional to their length. Once an custom engraving has been carved into stone, words may be added to it, but not removed.
Thief:"Quiet kitty, Qui-"
Cat:"THIEF! Protect the hoard from the skulking filth!"
The resulting party killed 20 dwarves, crippled 2 more and the remaining 9 managed to get along and have a nice party.

Jakkarra

Re: Custom Engravings
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2009, 09:17:08 am »

Urist McNoble

208 - 209

He will be dumped in magma

Fix'd

but atill, this is a good idea, could be useful for adventurers, it could even replace the "N"otes function, being persistant and all.

+1

Love, jakkarra

Urist McManiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2009, 09:54:17 am »

Very Good Idea.
But I would add the possibility to engrave pictures aswell, for example, engrave pictures of the noble you've burried.

Jakkarra

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2009, 12:40:32 pm »

how would the picture idea work? uploading a photo? or something like drawing it in ACII?

Just curious...

Love, jakkarra

Urist McManiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2009, 02:20:51 pm »

No, not actually a real picture, but the "image" that is engraved. For Example:

Urist McNoble

208 - 209

He will be missed

Engraved on the wall is a dwarf and magma. The image relates to the death of Urist McNoble in the year 300

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2009, 02:41:21 pm »

Perhaps a list of: historic creatures/events/other, current residents, former residents, important fortress events (e.g. dead dwarves, marriages, childbirth, new mayor...), killed enemies, murdered enemies... You could then add a message to it so you can get something in the likes of:

"This is an engraving of Urist McStupidmandate. He is screaming in agony. This relates to the death of Urist McStupidmandate. Under the engraving is a text: 'We don't have sand, now die.'"
Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.
Soylent Green is kittens!
Sometimes, when my Dorfs are exceptionally stupid again, I wonder what exactly the [INTELLIGENT]-tag does.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2009, 03:22:37 pm »

Toady opposes mindcontrol of engraving specific events (I really don't get it, I mean, I already place their furniture and dig their cities) but being able to write text would be nice

Might I suggest that each race's scribblings are in their own language, requiring skill to read? Your adventure mode followers would be capable of translating if applicable

Jakkarra

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2009, 08:07:01 pm »

ah, i see

blah blah blah

sorry, my mind broke a little there, i unerstand you perfectly now, and although Toadyone pbuh is vehemetely against "mind control" (pilsu, you are supposed to be a supervisor, giving basic instructions) this could still be good, possibly it could count nothing towards the value of the room, preventing people fromplastering nobles' rooms with things like "Tosser" and "useless waste of space" id say that that could be quite nice.

Love, jakkarra