Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Wildlife not respawning?  (Read 1000 times)

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
Wildlife not respawning?
« on: November 01, 2007, 12:31:00 pm »

I'm not sure whether this is a bug or a feature... but there are no animals of any kind at all in my temperate swamp fortress. In the beginning there were some bonobos, crocodiles and fishes. They all wandered off or in the case of fishes, were caught by my fisherdwarves. No new ones have arrived like I think there should? I started the fortress in the unpatched new release and the problem appeared then. Patching has not corrected the issue, I've been having a map devoid of life other than my dwarves, merchants and thieves for three years now.

Sniff, now I can't send all the useless immigrants hunting with their bare hands.

[ November 01, 2007: Message edited by: Majestic7 ]

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Re: Wildlife not respawning?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2007, 01:09:00 am »

The fish can be fished out, and might have trouble coming back at present, but were any of the bonobos or crocodiles killed?
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

P-Luke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2009, 07:18:33 pm »

I realise that this is a huge necro-bump, but I'm having the same issue.
I started a sea-side fortress to breed merpeople, inspired by the thread about it.
I named one of the miners after myself, and pretty much made him the king of the fortress (oh, the irony).

Anyway, once I had my fortress capable to sustaining its own population, I started to create a channel to catch the merpeople. And when it was done, I actually did catch 7 mermaids and 1 merman: perfect for breeding!
However, just as I was about to pump the water out of the channel to take the cages, my miner guy fell in the channel and drowned. I "alt+f4"-crashed the game to load up where I was just before I had finished the channel.. but now the merpeople arent showing up anymore! In fact, for the last 2 years I havent had any creatures enter my map at all!
Any clues as to why this may happen?

edit: Oh, I did kill about 10 slugmen and 10 snailmen on my map, which were the first animals to arrive here. Also, I'm on an island; I'm not sure how that is going to affect widlife respawning.

edit2:
It would seem it has fixed itself. There was 1 last merman just.. sitting still on the bottom of the ocean. So I built a bridge over it and to scare it away. Once it was gone, a new wave of merpeople arrived (as well as a new trading caravan - finally).
« Last Edit: April 27, 2009, 07:39:20 pm by P-Luke »

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2009, 04:47:47 pm »

The local wildlife populations will eventually exhaust themselves. You can test this out yourself by embarking on a 2x2 area, setting the dwarves to be [SPEED:1], and making them all be hunters with steel axes.

The carnage will be glorious and/or hilarious, but only for a while. Eventually your super dwarves will butcher all of the nearby wildlife and no more animals will arrive onto the map.

I believe the next version will address this issue.