Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Maybe dumb question about Dwarven owned items.  (Read 2006 times)

sweitx

• Bay Watcher
  • Sun Berry McSunshine
    • View Profile
Maybe dumb question about Dwarven owned items.
« on: April 17, 2009, 12:08:21 am »

I don't see it in Toady's todo list.  So I'm not sure if its not being fixed or its just not listed.  But...

Is there a plan to figure out how to get dwarf to discard/change out old cloth that have been severely worn?

Also confiscating items from dwarfs?

One of the toads decided to go for a swim in the moat - presumably because he could path through the moat to my dwarves. He is not charging in, just loitering in the moat.

The toad is having a nice relaxing swim.
The goblin mounted on his back, however, is drowning.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
Re: Maybe dumb question about Dwarven owned items.
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2009, 10:10:22 am »

I thought they already changed out of heavily worn clothes if replacements were available.  Perhaps if the economy is on they can't afford replacements.

As for confiscation that sounds like it would fix a few minor problems.  But I'm unsure how it could be balanced.  A suitably shiny dining room minimizes the effects of even a big unhappy thought. 

Perhaps only being able to confiscate 1 item a month and require a baron or something, though the item limit seems a bit odd.  Maybe if it gives an unhappy thought to the entire fortress instead of an item limit.  I mean a leader that repeatedly violates the idea of personal property would likely cause unrest.

Heck I could see it even becoming a mandate (though when mandated it would cause people to dislike the mandator instead of the universal unhappy thought) I can imagine it now.  "Rainbow FlowerSkies, Mayor, mandates the creation or confiscation of gnomeblight dudes."

P.S. Shoulda answered the second question better.  I haven't seen anything about confiscation yet myself.  But I don't think it would be too out of the question.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2009, 10:24:20 am by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

sweitx

• Bay Watcher
  • Sun Berry McSunshine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2009, 10:20:56 am »

I thought they already changed out of heavily worn clothes if replacements were available.  Perhaps if the economy is on they can't afford replacements.
They already do that?  I did not know, I had been avoiding making cloth since I thought they just keep layering on cloth on their old ones.

As for confiscation that sounds like it would fix a few minor problems.  But I'm unsure how it could be balanced.  A suitably shiny dining room minimizes the effects of even a big unhappy thought. 

Perhaps only being able to confiscate 1 item a month and require a baron or something, though the item limit seems a bit odd.  Maybe if it gives an unhappy thought to the entire fortress instead of an item limit.  I mean a leader that repeatedly violates the idea of personal property would likely cause unrest.

P.S. Shoulda answered the second question better.  I haven't seen anything about confiscation yet myself.  But I don't think it would be too out of the question.
The confiscation is merely a method to try to clean up the fortress, since I have had problem with dwarf keep accumulating stuffs to the point that they start cluttering up the entire fortress (and I can't construct over them since they can't be moved).
One of the toads decided to go for a swim in the moat - presumably because he could path through the moat to my dwarves. He is not charging in, just loitering in the moat.

The toad is having a nice relaxing swim.
The goblin mounted on his back, however, is drowning.

Walliard

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2009, 01:19:24 am »

Quote from: List of Remaining Items
Soldiers that are standing down should sort out their equipment according to their settings, trading up if proper, generally sort out their belongings

With this in place, I imagine dwarves in general will be a lot more diligent about tidying up after themselves.
Toady, how much of DF is inspired by Labyrinth? Is Armok actually David Bowie? Because that would simultaneously be disturbing and awesome.

Techhead

• Bay Watcher
  • Former Minister of Technological Heads
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2009, 09:25:55 am »

I hate how military dwarves NEVER clean up their items once they put armor on.
NEVER.
NEVER.
NEVER.
Engineering Dwarves' unfortunate demises since '08
WHAT?  WE DEMAND OUR FREE THINGS NOW DESPITE THE HARDSHIPS IT MAY CAUSE IN YOUR LIFE
It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.

Mount

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2009, 06:55:53 pm »

I recently had a Lye Maker have a fialed mood.  He went insane, stripped naked, ran through my fortress babbling and offending common decency, and eventually ran to his room.  I locked him in to starve, and only after he dided do I discover:  HE STILL OWNS HIS CLOTHES.  Nobody will touch them because they're still owned!  I even tried marking them for (d)umping.  Is there ANY way now to get the discarded socks off my artifact dining table??

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2009, 07:08:42 pm »

I recently had a Lye Maker have a fialed mood.  He went insane, stripped naked, ran through my fortress babbling and offending common decency, and eventually ran to his room.  I locked him in to starve, and only after he dided do I discover:  HE STILL OWNS HIS CLOTHES.  Nobody will touch them because they're still owned!  I even tried marking them for (d)umping.  Is there ANY way now to get the discarded socks off my artifact dining table??

Fill his room full of magma.

Strangething

• Bay Watcher
  • Slizardman
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2009, 10:24:35 pm »

Huh. I've only seen this for dwarves that have assigned tombs.

Mount

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2009, 09:56:40 am »

Huh. I've only seen this for dwarves that have assigned tombs.

I'm not sure if I assigned a tomb to him or not... seems like I would have done that in order to streamline the disposal process once he kicked the bucket.  I will try dumping him out of his current container and having him stuffed in a nameless garbage bin, and see if that frees up his garb..